• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drum brakes ratcheting

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled my drums off to inspect and adjust as part of my PMI and found nothing out of the usual. However now I hear the driver side I think ratcheting when I make my first stop after braking in reverse. It doesn't do it a lot just a couple clicks the first time I get on the brakes. Goes away until I brake in reverese and comes back pretty mich every time. Seems the harder I brake in reverse the more clicking I get. Hard braking in reverse is supposed to trigger the adjuster right?

Pedal feels fine, stops fine and the adjusters seemed to work fine when I had the drum off. It never did that before so I'm kinda worried.

Anything I should be looking for?

I thought the parking brake is what adjusts the drums?

After I posted i remembered parking brake in reverse. Going to try that and see if it tightens it up maybe. When I had it apart I adjusted things the same way I alwahs have.

Just odd the sudden clicking the first stop after reverse braking.

Just odd the sudden clicking the first stop after reverse braking.

That is normal on rear drums expect jeeps as most jeeps adjusters never work. Yours do, find out why and let us all know why so we can fix ours. LOL.

Driving in reverse and hard stopping and then doing the same in forward is what adjusts the adjusters, not the parking brake. Mine actually work and do that, especially after pulling the drums off.

Back