• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slow crank

the_mechanic

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a '95 XJ with the straight 6 mated to a 5-speed. The other day, I had to reverse up an unexpectedly steep bump in the road. I took the front tires up too slow and ended up stalling out. When I went to restart the engine, it cranked very slow as if the battery was dead (battery and alternator are both new within the last couple months). This has also happened on a couple occasions with no particular correlation (has happened with the first start in the early morning and also in the middle of the day after a few different lengths of driving time).

Has this happened to anyone else before? Any idea on a cause? The only thing I can think of is the starter is beginning to go out. I've had this happen on other cars usually when a starter is getting heat soaked by headers, etc. which would not explain when it happens first thing in the morning.

The starter solenoid on the outside of the starter may be going bad, or the starter. Or the ground cable on the engine or the large + cable to the starter may be loose and dirty. I assume ???? that the clamps on the battery and the cable clamps are clean and tight? But if you or others disconnect the battery to do vehicle work, they are often overlooked and not reconnected properly, just put back on loose and this causes problems later.

Back