• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mudded up alternator

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey ... I just wanted to share something with NAXJA.

The other day I took my kids out in the XJ, and went through some deep mud puddles ... up to the doors.

Next day, I get in the car, and the volt meter shows the alternator isn't working. I've got the rebuild kit on the shelf (brushes, bearings and rectifier), so I'm not too worried about it.

Then I remembered the deep mud yesterday and thought maybe the brushes were "mudded" in place. So I took a rock and whacked the alternator mounting bracket a few times, and tapped the back of the alt. lightly. I could hear the engine speed drop as the alternator kicked in.

So I just wanted to share this. If you get your alternator mudded up, just do what I did, and it will probably get back to working again. I hosed mine down really good while tapping it some more and the problem is gone.

If this saves someone from getting a cheap POS chinese replacement alt., I'll be happy.

Take care and happy trails.

cheap Chinese rebuild kits in factory components are better than new cheap Chinese components.

I thought about that before I decided to get the rebuild components. I found a rebuilder supply company that sold me parts made in japan ... the same parts that went in the original Denso alternators. I'm a business owner, so I was able to open a wholesale account with them.

Rebuilding is really easy ... only takes about 45 minutes. I haven't needed to do it yet with this vehicle, but I've done others. The denso alts don't even need any soldering for the rectifier ... it's all bolt in.

Last edited:
8mud has reported that method to work as well. I always do that after a radiator hose or coolant leak blows under the hood. Coolant is very conductive and bad for alternators too.

For mud I would probably pull the belt, rinse it off real good with the garden hose, then turn it manually while rinsing again for 5 minutes. Then I would probably do one last rinse with a gallon of DI (non conductive, pure) water, 89 cents and the grocery store. I would also flush the AC condenser and radiator etc!!!!

Hey ... I just wanted to share something with NAXJA.

The other day I took my kids out in the XJ, and went through some deep mud puddles ... up to the doors.

Next day, I get in the car, and the volt meter shows the alternator isn't working. I've got the rebuild kit on the shelf (brushes, bearings and rectifier), so I'm not too worried about it.

Then I remembered the deep mud yesterday and thought maybe the brushes were "mudded" in place. So I took a rock and whacked the alternator mounting bracket a few times, and tapped the back of the alt. lightly. I could hear the engine speed drop as the alternator kicked in.

So I just wanted to share this. If you get your alternator mudded up, just do what I did, and it will probably get back to working again. I hosed mine down really good while tapping it some more and the problem is gone.

If this saves someone from getting a cheap POS chinese replacement alt., I'll be happy.

Take care and happy trails.

Back