• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats this thing under my steering column?

Petemech

NAXJA Forum User
So my guages decided to stop working yesterday and in the process of fixing that issue i stumbled across a wierd solenoid on the steering column. It appears to be cylindrical and has what looks to be a two wire connector going to it and vacuum line coming and going from both ends. One of the lines goes up under the steering column towards the steering wheel and the other under the dash to center console? It also seems to get pretty warm when the key is on and seems to click when i thrn it. Just curious really.

So my guages decided to stop working yesterday and in the process of fixing that issue i stumbled across a wierd solenoid on the steering column. It appears to be cylindrical and has what looks to be a two wire connector going to it and vacuum line coming and going from both ends. One of the lines goes up under the steering column towards the steering wheel and the other under the dash to center console? It also seems to get pretty warm when the key is on and seems to click when i thrn it. Just curious really.

You should add some info about your rig. Year, engine, tran, etc.

98, that's going to be out of my scope of XJ years.

The gauges can be as simple as the fuse.
Whatever the under column thingy is I have no idea except to say it's not on the older XJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is part of the brake/transmission interlock.

That is part of the brake/transmission interlock.
Drum roll please. And the winner is Tim! Lol my gauges dropped out again to day and while i had it all apart i hit the button on the shifter and it clicked bingo!

I shimmed the gauge connectors with some cardboard hopefully that will keep them inline.

The 97+ gauges were bad about that from what I've seen. I had a 98 and 99 that both did it occasionally. You could push on the gauge face and they'd make contact and work again. Maybe try some dielectric grease on the connectors?

Back