• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent electrical problems... New Truck Lites to blame??

TaylorWA

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, first post here. I scoured the forums but couldn't find anything quite like my issue. 2000 Cherokee Sport, 80k, 4.0, 4 door, NP 231 4wd, all stock and super clean. Had it for about 6 months and it's been awesome! Only mods are LED interior lights, a compact powered under seat subwoofer and a Pioneer bluetooth stereo with new Alpine speakers.

I couple weeks ago I installed Truck Lite LED headlights, and they've been awesome! Much brighter than the Hella H4 conversion lights that were in there.

The problem:

Not 100% sure it's related but every couple days when I'm driving, the stereo (aftermarket), power windows, power mirrors and front windshield wipers stop working. Everything else electrical continues to work perfectly. No check engine lights or OBD2 codes. If I turn the car off and back on, everything seems to work fine again. I checked all the fuses and they look fine. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but electrical is not my forte.

Any ideas?? Does it make sense that the new headlights would cause such an intermittent issue? Maybe a ground somewhere or the ignition switch? How can I tell? This is really stumping me.

Thanks!

-Taylor

Last edited:
The problem:

Not 100% sure it's related but every couple days when I'm driving, the stereo (aftermarket), power windows, power mirrors and front windshield wipers stop working.
-Taylor

Those systems you mention are common to connector C1 (pin 8) on the ignition switch and JB connector C4 (pin L1) (see diagram).

img264.jpg

Replaced the ignition switch yesterday. Was pretty easy actually and the part was only $35, but I also had to buy a set of security torx bits in order to get the old switch out.

Once I got the new switch in, I took the old one apart. The copper contacts inside the switch definitely had some discoloration (oxidation?) and even seemed dirty and greasy. The new switch definitely feels "clickier" and the key stages feel more defined. Here's hoping it fixes the issue.

Everything seems to be working fine but I'm going on a 300+ mile camping road trip so I think that will be a good test to see if that was the culprit.

How are your battery terminals and ground points? I find that the grounding on these is insufficient at this point due to rust corrosion and broken wires.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

Back