• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idle problem

Big James

NAXJA Forum User
Found a good deal on a 98 with a brand new motor but it won't idle over 1000x rpm. Any ideas of what this could be or should I stay away from it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be lots of things just based on some quick googling...

TPS, air intake hose pinched, clogged catalytic, fuel pressure/pump, among other things

Does it have any codes? I'm sure some detail on the behavior when trying to rev past 1k would help people narrow down to at least mechanical/electrical possibilities.

Good deals are where you buy a non-runner for $800, spend 2 hours to diagnose a broken wire and a failed relay, and you sell it for $3750 4 days later.

I would start with basic diagnostics and poking around under the hood. Test the fuel pressure. Look for loose or broken stuff and melted wire harnesses. Look for disconnected stuff. Make the throttle cable and gas pedal function correctly. Make sure the throttle body is mechanically sound and functional. Test the various sensors and inspect/test their wire harnesses. During an engine swap it is pretty easy to damage a wire harness, a sensor, or to have a weak wire splice fail.

Could be lots of things just based on some quick googling...

TPS, air intake hose pinched, clogged catalytic, fuel pressure/pump, among other things

Does it have any codes? I'm sure some detail on the behavior when trying to rev past 1k would help people narrow down to at least mechanical/electrical possibilities.

The jeep isn't actually mine and I haven't been to look at it yet to get to check out the engine bay really good

b2e220023b499e79f39bef694af27567.jpg
97ad5154d994800b0dc0a09de77f718f.jpg
322ef6a4d66bf81f3d60e24fb3b12498.jpg

Bad TPS (test with power off using an ohm meter sweep, from idle to WOT versus FSM specs, too little fuel (check the fuel pressure while running with a gauge), clogged cat (check the cat while cold for any loose internals noise using a rubber hammer and soft taps, or have a muffler shop test it), bad CPS, bad vacuum line to the MAP sensor or a bad MAP sensor, weak spark, check the entire spark system from the plug to the coil.

Bad TPS (test with power off using an ohm meter sweep, from idle to WOT versus FSM specs, too little fuel (check the fuel pressure while running with a gauge), clogged cat (check the cat while cold for any loose internals noise using a rubber hammer and soft taps, or have a muffler shop test it), bad CPS, bad vacuum line to the MAP sensor or a bad MAP sensor, weak spark, check the entire spark system from the plug to the coil.

Thanks Eco. I'll look into all of that if I make it over to look at it. I've found another one that just needs a motor stuck in it

LOL, I'd take fixing an idle problem, over needing to install a motor any day. With jeeps you are likely to install a motor and be right back here with 6 new problems instead of just one LOL.

What's up dude! I fixed my idle btw.

Anyways, I agree here. I was having a relatively similar issue, for me it ended up being a short in the TPS and a bad Auto Shutdown relay. Cat is also a fairly common issue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LOL, I'd take fixing an idle problem, over needing to install a motor any day. With jeeps you are likely to install a motor and be right back here with 6 new problems instead of just one LOL.

They're the same price and the one that needs a motor is nicer than the other. It needs a windshield too but that's no big deal

They're the same price and the one that needs a motor is nicer than the other. It needs a windshield too but that's no big deal

Years? Miles? Price? You have no idea what other problems the one with the bad motor has.

Back