• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubber like shield under front end

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the rubber shield that is under the front of my 2000 Cherokee with the 4.0 engine. It runs from just behind the front bumper back about the beginning of the oil pan. Mine is in rough shape and I was wondering if I removed it if it would ave any adverse effect. Has anyone removed theirs. I've noticed my 2002 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0l engine dosen't have one.
Thanks,
Bill

It's just a splash guard. Meant to minimize the amount of water/mud that makes it's way into the engine bay.

It's the first thing I remove if it's still there as it just gets in the way of cleaning the under side of the Jeep.

Most people do away with it. No harm running without it. I run one on my '00. Just a Daily Driver though. As a matter of fact scored a brand new Mopar one to replace the original for $25. My old one is a little tattered. Part #55174736

I spend a lot of time either checking or working on my Jeeps. Usually by choice. If I had to futz with that thing every time I wanted to catch a peek of the underside...I'd slash. If you have a leak of any kind, it's nearly impossible to find with the thing on there.

Mine have been gone since day 1 after buying the Jeeps.

The right tire will splash rainwater into the alternator with the
shield removed. I fabricated a smaller shield out of sheetmetal
to keep the alternator dry. It's about half the length of the original
and attached with 3 metal screws. Simple to fab up if you worry
about alt failures on rainy nights, 100 miles from home, like me...

The right tire will splash rainwater into the alternator with the
shield removed. I fabricated a smaller shield out of sheetmetal
to keep the alternator dry. It's about half the length of the original
and attached with 3 metal screws. Simple to fab up if you worry
about alt failures on rainy nights, 100 miles from home, like me...

This is what I've been thinking of doing.

While retrieving a broken race car one year at the Parker 400, we had to strap it for about 3 miles on a dirt road. It was pissing rain and there was 2"-3" of water on the road plus huge puddles.

By the time we got to the highway, my alternator had stopped making juice.

Luckily after about 1/2 an hour it came back after it dried out. But it has since developed a squeaky bearing that drives me nuts in stop and go traffic.

I think that's been about 5 years ago, still going (knock on wood)...

Back