• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grinding: AX15 Transmission Synchro ring or Clutch?

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks...

So after leaving the 92 XJ sitting for a few years after a major overheat (had a new head put on it etc) - suddenly - for the first time ever I seem to be having a drivetrain problem. It occurs mostly when I'm already shifted into 2nd or 3rd gear - usually (from what i can tell) when there's some load on the drivetrain - and there's a slippage or gear clashing/grinding which seems to be occurring only after already being 'in gear'. It doesn't really sound anywhere near as loud as 'regular' gear clash - like when i'm engaging reverse on the AX15 but something different altogether. I guess it's POSSIBLE it's a clutch issue though it doesn't really feel like it to me. Has anyone ever been through anything like this? I'm guessing it could be one of the synchros but really unsure how to even test. I thought maybe I should go 'downstairs' and check bolts and u-joints etc etc - maybe someone can suggest something to look for while down there? i guess it wouldn't hurt to check tranny fluid levels... (?)

Back