• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grenaded transfer case

JusEmptyEvryPocket

NAXJA Forum User
First off, some specs. 1988 xj laredo, stock, 16 inch tires, 4.0 auto with np242 case.

A couple of months ago, after replacing a front wheel u joint and the steering gear box I noticed some ridiculously rough vibrating and thumping on my way to work at about 55 mph. It was so bad that the dash was vibrating.I pulled over and inspected everything I could but didn't see anything out of place. I turned around to go home and not even a mile later the transfer case exploded. The only thing I could tell was that it was pretty much out of fluid when it gave away. I've finally gotten around to finding a replacement but before I put it in, I want to rule out anything else that could have caused this to happen. If I put the thing together and it happens again I'm scrapping it.

with NO oil in it, I can see why it blew on you. Just make sure you have the right spline count on the new/used T case. Check or change oil in the one you plan on installing. I would put in fresh fluid but that's just me.

For sure. Believe me, I felt pretty bad for letting it go that far. I managed to find a case out of abother '88, so fingers crossed the splines match so I don't have to do any output swapping.

Hey JEEP, what are you doing with the old grenaded case? I have a crack in my tailshaft cover (#21) and need a replacement.

Back