• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another engine cooling thread.... why not?

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
After reading XJ cooling threads for the least 3 years I've decided to put my 2 cents in.

I'd like to believe my XJ cooling system is up to OEM standards.
Everything is brand new except for the engine.
Coolant stays green, level never drops, no leaks, ect.

Not using AC, the jeep maintains 220°F as verified by the scangauge (which is about a little past the 210 mark on the dash) 97+ coolant gauges don't read linear. The first tick mark past 210 is actually 245°F in case some didn't realize. I believe that Jeep made this change to the 97+ XJ's to mask the issue slightly.

It was 116°F here yesterday in Phoenix. I was of course using the AC on max and max fan. Coolant temps stabilize around 225-235. Is this normal for extreme heat while using the AC? If I turn the AC off and brave heatstroke the coolant temp drops to about 220 while driving. The car has always been like this. Drives fine.

In a perfect world you'd be OK, coolant shouldn't boil (depending on pressure and coolant mix) until it is well above 250 F (ideally around 265 F.).

The variable is there are some spots hotter inside the motor than others. Coolant boils and produces a gas that messes with the circulation. There is a tipping point where everything goes downhill fast and temperature spikes quick.

I never had the need here, temps here rarely go above 80 F. But when I lived in the desert I always installed an oil cooler for my motor. Bathing the motor in (ideally) 180 F motor oil also helps with cooling. Same with an over sized trans cooler, every little bit helps.

XJ doesn't really have the room to go much oversize on the radiator, besides the engine compartment and the radiator has poor airflow.

Oil overheats, tranny or motor, and the oil starts to breakdown. EcoMikes area of expertise, he could likely expand some.

Just a tip, if you do get in trouble and the temperature spikes, pouring water over the front of the radiator with the engine running will cool it down quick.

That may be normal, but you say everything is new? New aftermarket or new dealer? If both, list them please. Does the temp drop when you turn the AC on? My sons 96 Ford Taurus runs up 222, then turns on the E fan and cycles from 222 to 210, up and down, with AC on it drops to 210 and stays there. Is your E-fan working when it should? is it 2 speed on the those jeeps? My sons Taurus is 2 speed, dual E-fans. Is your fan clutch actually operating at the right temp and speed?

Your XJ may not be running hot..
Have you use a infrared thermometer to check the accuracy of the temperature sender, read by the ScanGauge, by measuring the actual temperature of the sender itself?
Temperature senders get old and fall out of calibration. Your XJ may just need a new sender.
It's happened to my XJ

Back