• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty rocker panels - cheap fix? Feedback please

LID_JS

NAXJA Forum User
Let me begin this thread with I have no experience in welding, nor have any buddies who know how to weld. I am full-time college and part-time salary and can't afford to bring it to a shop to repair my rocker panels. Currently the passenger side is surface rust from what I can tell, just bubbling paint. The driver side is starting to rot out, but only on half the panel.

JxPjOTz.jpg

I recently ordered a kit that is basically a slip on metal cover for the rockers.. It bolts to the original rocker with self-tapping screws.
wAAhgwP.jpg

It is 27 gauge metal. I do not do any hardcore offroading by any means. I camp a lot and go on mild trails. I have done many searches on this topic and I don't need 2x6 at the moment. It is my DD with only 110K miles.

I plan on cutting out more of the driver side and wirebrushing any rust that is inside and than sealing it up with rust reformer and spray the whole panel with undercoating. Then bolt on the "slip on" covers and then paint that as well. I just need opinions from the experts. I know it is more of a band-aid that will only delay for so much longer. I figure it is way better than expanding foam and bondo however. What do you guys think of this as a temporary fix? I am hoping for a couple more years given I treat the rust right. The inner rocker isn't rusted through, the bottom of the outer panel is rock solid. Just the middle area from what I can tell. I do know the rockers are considered structural but that shouldn't be a problem because i'm only cutting out about a foot long chunk in the middle?

Last edited:
It might make sense for you to poke around your chapter - someone near you on NAXJA is sure to have some welding/fab skills - and think about having those rocker panels cut out and replaced with some steel tubing. That solves 3 problems: (A) gets rid of the rust, (b) gives you a pivot rail when you are outdoors, and (C) gives the truck a little more rigidity.

Seems like a good enough solution considering the circumstances stated. Would suggest using seam sealer as well. Hopefully the sealer would prevent future corrosion promoting contaminants entry and increase the life expectancy of your rockers.

Tim

Depending on the level and amount of rust, I would suggest cutting the rusty metal out, made an 1/8th of an inch past the rust spot. The more rust you can completely remove, the better off you will be. Treating rust is a good temp solution, but if you can remove the rust, treat the bare metal, then install those rocker panels, you would be better off in the long run. Also, take a look at local community colleges. Like one of the above posters mentioned, get o know folks in your area from the board or local 4X4 clubs. Folks in groups like that usually are more than willing to help and the skill level/ tool access varies and may work in your favor.

Depending on the level and amount of rust, I would suggest cutting the rusty metal out, made an 1/8th of an inch past the rust spot. The more rust you can completely remove, the better off you will be. Treating rust is a good temp solution, but if you can remove the rust, treat the bare metal, then install those rocker panels, you would be better off in the long run. Also, take a look at local community colleges. Like one of the above posters mentioned, get o know folks in your area from the board or local 4X4 clubs. Folks in groups like that usually are more than willing to help and the skill level/ tool access varies and may work in your favor.

That's a hell of an idea. I want to get mine done, but don't have the expertise. I just placed a call to Lincoln Tech. I'll see if they do body fab work.

Started prepping the rockers, cutting, grinding down rust, applied a generous amount of rust coverter outside and inside the panels for any remaining rust, applied engine enamel on the rest, now just waiting on the slip ons so I can install them. Boy there was a lot of dirt and rust in there... Here's a picture before I applied the paint
ruQV8yz.jpg

I'm almost done, the slip ons are installed. I need to install more rivets to ensure a secure fit, and probably going to repaint the rockers as they came pre-painted and I planned on using bedliner. That can wait for now. I also need to trim down excess metal from the slip ons that aren't needed as they gave plenty extra space on the bottom side.

lObxv2T.jpg

fcaWdiR.jpg

wMVxujg.jpg

owH5SZj.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I could've done 2x6 and never have to worry about it ever again. Hopefully these will last me a couple more years until I get more serious with the build. I installed literally 50 rivets today, bought a pack at Home Depot, used them all... Just to be sure this is making contact. It's looking great to me.

Back