• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rod bent - maybe

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
Ok, as I continue to chase down some steering gremlins I had another thought.

For as long as I can remember the tie rod that connects the right knuckle to the pitman arm has been bowed inward - very natural and factory looking bend with no creases or damage or anything. I've always figured that was a factory bend and never thought twice. As well, since upgrading to the ZJ rod that connects to the left knuckle, that rod end has contacted the bracket on the axle where my steering stabilizer goes.

It dawned on my last night in a moment of genius (??) that, hey, maybe that tie rod DIDN'T come from the factory with a bow in it and it is really supposed to be straight and that is contributing to my problems.

Is it supposed to be straight? Here is what it looks like.
024BB9AD-9535-4555-95FB-28A0F2FE1595_zpsg2m46xit.jpg

I guess I used the wrong term - the drag link between the knuckle and pitman arm.

Can any one confirm what Dragonlich believes to be correct?

It's straight on mine and mine is still stock steering. One odd note is that my drag link is on the back side of the tie rod. Not sure what your steering issue is but if it's a dead spot, you may get better results with the drag link on the other side, but with that bend, you probably can't do that. The only thing the bend will do is change the angle the TRE sees on the tire rod but it's not like the bend itself would be causing an issue. If the angle there matters, it will, and I would expect to see binding with your wheel locked to the right. Take it off, heat it, straighten it out and put it back on and see if that helps. Or get another from the JY for $20, if that.

All the stock steering set up photos I can find on the "ole innerwebs" show that the drag link is in FRONT of the tie rod. so I think that is it set up correctly, but I guess it can't hurt to flip it and see what happens.

Either way, I think I will run to the junkyard and grab another...

yes, the draglink should be in front of the tie rod. thats a tapered hole on the draglink so you can't just flip the tie rod end to the other side.

the draglink looks bent to me.

Ok, as I continue to chase down some steering gremlins I had another thought.

Is it supposed to be straight? Here is what it looks like.
024BB9AD-9535-4555-95FB-28A0F2FE1595_zpsg2m46xit.jpg

There is nothing recognizable in that picture you posted. Are you sure it is an OEM setup?

The two vehicles in your sig originally used the same drag link, and yes, they are all bent close to the right knuckle before the tie rod which is attached 10.5 inches from the knuckle. That bend is to prevent the tie rod from contacting the steering stabilizer and bracket. The castle head nut is facing forward with the tre body close to the axle/stabilizer.

HTH. :eyes:

When you go to get a new one, most parts stores list it as a tie rod end. Since there's a TRE on one end (that isn't removable) and the connection to the pitman arm. If you're buying it online, most TRE's are about <$20 a piece. The drag link (listed as a TRE will run around $60) and it's the whole bar. There should also be a "hole" about midway for the steering stabilizer>

That is not a factory link. As mentioned above, if it was factory, there should be a hole for a steering stabilizer. And an adjustment piece (which is separate) up at the pitman arm. And then the tie rod that goes to the left wheel would be another hole. This is some kind of upgrade but it looks bent.

That is not a factory link. As mentioned above, if it was factory, there should be a hole for a steering stabilizer. And an adjustment piece (which is separate) up at the pitman arm. And then the tie rod that goes to the left wheel would be another hole. This is some kind of upgrade but it looks bent.

This is the factory drag link. If you look on the top right of the photo, you'll see the hole for the steering stabilizer. The adjustment piece at the pitman arm didn't make the photo.

Thanks, I guess the picture distorts what's really going on. Why not go down to the parts store and get one and return it if you decide yours is the same. Or take a better picture with the drag link connected to the steering box.:rof:

I just found an OEM replacement on RockAuto on closeout for $5. I ordered 3 of them. I'll report back in a couple days once they arrive.

Did the best I could with the tire on and a cell phone....

Last edited:
Thanks! Also found a tie rod for $20, i just need to figure out which tie rod end i need and ill be into the ZJ swap for under $60

Got my drag links in today. One had a torn boot, so I need to sent that one back, but the others are good. The one that I had on was definitely bent. I got the new one on and I no longer contact the stabilizer bracket. I'll take her for a run later today.

97EE4892-95FD-482C-AAA8-B88C6C7920BD_zps04ur863x.jpg

Holy crap, what a difference! Should have done that a long time ago.

Back