• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wj knuckle swap

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
Had amy one here done the wj knuckle swap? I need to swap out my front brakes and I might just do this swap but I will need help. If anyone here has done it abs would be willing to help please let me know.

Its actually not that hard. I went and Highly recommend JKS as they make it easy with their components. I bought their hub spacers, tie rod link, drag link, sway bar mount, jamb nuts for the links, and track bar mount (this way I didn't have to fab any of these components). The hardest part about the swap is welding the spacers on the knuckles (which you could take to any reputable welder to have done) and then cutting the original steering stabilizer and sway bar link off and welding the new trackbar mount and sway bar end link on. I guarantee if you know how to or know someone who can weld the trackbar and sway bar links on, you can do this. I had a buddy tig weld the spacers on the knuckles at his shop with a little preheating, but everything else was done in my driveway with a couple of jackstands. As far as cutting, it can be tight in some areas and I used a dremel with cutoff wheels for all the cutting and may be a tad slower and burn through a lot of the little discs, but worked like a champ.

Its not cheap though. I spent about 420 dollars on the JKS components alone. But not having a ton of resources to fab a bunch of steering tuff sure made it easier (all their steering stuff was bolt on). Aside from that, you will need, knuckles, ball joints (at least the WJ lowers), Rotors, calipers, pads, caliper mounting brackets, and all 4 tie rods. A trip to the pick and pull could net you a lot of these parts. You will also need to modify your steering stabilizer setup. I simply used the factory trackbar mount to mount one end and bought a cheap Toyota kit to ubolt the other end to the tie rod link. If you want any closeup pictures or breakdown, let me know, here to help.

I think what i will do is just replace the stock caliper that is sticking and save for the wj set up.

Look it up to make sure, but I think you can do the swap and still keep your steering if you want to upgrade the steering later but still get the bigger brakes.

Look it up to make sure, but I think you can do the swap and still keep your steering if you want to upgrade the steering later but still get the bigger brakes.

I was under the same impression. I dont need to change the steering right now

You are correct, you could upgrade to the knuckles and brakes and keep your steering setup for now. In that case you would only need the hub spacers and everything else from the knuckles out.

So I understand and do this the right way. I can get 1999 WJ knuckles. then get JKS FAB Weld-On Steering Knuckle Flange Spacer for WJ Knuckle Conversion. have a shop weld that on to the knuckle. Then I will need new WJ calipers, rotors and pads. I can use all the rest of my stock parts and bolt this back together.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

I dont want to change out my steering and I dont want to do any fab other than welding the spacer on the knuckle.

That it in a nutshell. Make sure the knuckles have the caliper mounting brackets as well. you will need to change the lower ball joints to WJ ball joints (lower only because the uppers are the same, unless uppers are bad, great time to change them out). And you will have to redrill the rotors to the XJ bolt pattern. I did mine with my cheap drill press, but could have done them by hand. I have heard of using ford explorer rotors, but I didn't so don't know the specifics. I simply marked the center between two of the holes and put my old rotor over it and marked all the holes. The only other thing that may have to be addressed is the upper steering arm may slightly hit the sway bar mount, but not sure because I did the fab work to change the steering.

You can see in the picture the one I marked in order to get my holes centered up between the rest

I don't think it hits, the reason you have to change the sway bar mount for the steering, is because the drag link goes from the pitman arm to that upper are right where the stock sway bar link is. I can check even though I changed mine how far that arms goes over and tell you if it will hit. Will check tonight

Its not cheap though. I spent about 420 dollars on the JKS components alone. But not having a ton of resources to fab a bunch of steering tuff sure made it easier (all their steering stuff was bolt on). Aside from that, you will need, knuckles, ball joints (at least the WJ lowers), Rotors, calipers, pads, caliper mounting brackets, and all 4 tie rods. A trip to the pick and pull could net you a lot of these parts. You will also need to modify your steering stabilizer setup. I simply used the factory trackbar mount to mount one end and bought a cheap Toyota kit to ubolt the other end to the tie rod link. If you want any closeup pictures or breakdown, let me know, here to help.

Just Be careful with the JKS drag link, The JKS Drag link I used was about 1/2" too long, I could not get the steering wheel straight, I had to cut 1/4" inch off each end to make it work.

also I used the Clayton off road sway bar mounts, Easy way i could clear the steering!

I've driven a couple K miles on the conversion, it is the best thing i have done to the Jeep!

I still haven't mounted the steering stabilizer, I plan on going the same way you did, (except I picked up a ruff-n-stuff stabilizer mount for the connection to the tie rod) & would appreciate any pictures you could post of your setup!
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Will post a photo when I get home. And I know what you mean by the length of the drag link. I was so close, luckily, I am running 6.5 inches of lift, and still was able to run a drop pitman arm. I can't go any farther in with the drag link though. That would have been my solution by cutting off each end slightly. But the steering stabilizer worked out great, will post pics and details later

I'm about to do the same swap. I'll be using Ruff Stuff steering compents and track bar mount though.

Did any of you guys that didn't have a 99 XJ change your wheel bearings?

Back