• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sputter and popping@Idle and acceleration

DSteveXJ

NAXJA Forum User
A couple weeks ago my 96Xj with the 4.0 started to misfire pretty bad, so I replaced the plugs wires cap and rotor and all seemed perfect for a week until it started again. So I replaced the CPS and TPS and O2 sensors and it seemed to fix it for yet another week until tonight where it started acting up again.

It acts like its misfiring when you try to accelerate to where it makes the jeep pop and bounce and almost dying while you are mashing on the peddle. Full throttle doesn't clear the jeep up in fact the jeep acts like it is hauling a huge boat (sluggish and doesn't "go")

Like I said it happens at idle to where it'll start jumping and popping and you can't accelerate right away, but once you can get a roll going and gain speed it will somewhat drive right and at speed.

Keynotes:

I replaced CPS, TPS, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter and O2 sensors. No check engine light is on.

Possible leaking vacuum line at the throttle body to the MAP sensor, that is hard to see unless you remove it.

Also could be an internally damaged Cat Converter with loose guts that move around and randomly clog the exhaust.

Shade Tree Mechanic's list:
(1) Measure Vacuum
(2) Measure compression
(3) Get your buddy drunk enough to hold a sparkplug wire to check for juice
(4) Sniff the tailpipe to see if it is getting fuel.

Push your rotor shaft sideways and see how much play you have.

Eyeball your O2 sensor wires. Especially the rear one.

Any difference on a hot motor or a cold motor. Coils will sometimes act up when they get hot. Pull the number two plug wire, open an old plug up to arounf 0.60 and hold it on a good ground (make sure it is a good ground) and look at the spark. Or another trick is to hook a timing light up to each individual spark plug cable one at a time and watch how the strobe pulses (the dark cover on the PDC is a good spot to aim the strobe).

Check the input voltage to your CPS with the connector connected. Low input voltage can indicate another partially shorted sensor (like the cam position sensor) causing CPS issues.

Just some ideas.

Back