• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a new front axle

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hi- so my front axle (d30) is leaking fluid at both axles. Axle seals I'm sure. My ujoints are super rusty too (everything is super rusty) and I'm considering just getting a different axle or a rebuild. What years are swappable with mine. I think I have the 3.07. Are other gear ratios usable or advisable? Any recommendation for sources of rebuilt d30s. Money is a factor of course. Thank for any help!

- TJ

1991 XJ 5speed 4.0HO non abs vac disconnect. Stock everything-

Thx

You can buy a whole pile of axles for the cost of a rebuild. My 98 axles have 248,000 miles and only have required routine maintenance. I would find a clean used axle with the correct gear ratio, and call it good.

You can find a D30 in just about any junkyard that has XJ's for around $150. You need to have matching ratios' front and back so if all you want to do $$ wise is replace the D30 you have you'll need to find another 3.07.

Even 3.55's would be an improvement IMO and they are common everywhere and relatively easy to swap in. But remember, 3.07 in front
AND back if you're just replacing the front.

to be clear, I'm looking at maybe purchasing a rebuilt axle, not rebuilding mine. I've seen some for sale online. I would pull one from a JY but then won't I have to worry about old seals on that one? I've seen some rebuilds for $400. That would be with new ujoints, ball joints, seals, and inspected and 5yr warranty. Anyone have any experience with these? Will a non-disco work fine. What years will work? Any d30? thx-

and thx for the info on ratios. So if I switch the front I gotta switch the back..got it

You can buy a whole pile of axles for the cost of a rebuild. My 98 axles have 248,000 miles and only have required routine maintenance. I would find a clean used axle with the correct gear ratio, and call it good.

I agree. My 1990 XJ has 300+K on it, the gears are still pristine. My 1988 MJ has 200K on it and the gears look brand new. New lube every 20-25K miles or so. No leaks at the pinions or wheels. Replacing all the seals is a shop job if you don't wanna do it. Maybe a couple hundred. You'd be paying $400-500 to have someone...or to buy a rebuild. Just mentioning that because you said money IS an issue. For me too, like I'm the king of cheap.

Where in Northern California are you that produces a lot of rust. Just surface rust or body cancer? My rigs are virtually rust free, except for some typical rust on the cast iron knuckles. Got pictures?

My 01 XJ which I've had since 36,000 miles has 340,000 miles and the front axle has only had one axle joint and one set of ball joints replaced, in addition to gear oil every 30,000 miles. When it comes to buying rebuilt you can wonder if its any good. My 97 ... which I've had for 2 years has had a number of axle issues. Sometimes you try to do good and it backfires. You can change the seals if you need. They are something like $10-15. You do need to pull the hubs/shafts and carrier. You can pull the carrier and tap it back in without a full rebuild. D30's are shims so all you need to do is make sure you don't mix up the bearing races. The bearing journal races will already be stamped from the factory. Just make sure you put them back the same way (look at the marks, will be a letter in a specific orientation). But then you can put the carrier back in and call it a day. If it still leaks, maybe then consider changing the axle. My local Spicer dealer has been great and is often cheaper and faster than any place online.

Well the jeep has been in the family since it was new in 1991 so I know the whole history. It spend it's first 10 years in Pacifica right on the coast and the sea fog does it's thing. I have 270k on it currently. wheelside knuckles and ball joints are new. I've read and watched a lot of videos on doing the axle seals, I'm not sure if I'm up to it. I'd be bummed to get it all together and have it still leak..I've been quoted $460 do to the repair job from a shop in Reno. I've also found a decent d30 3.07 off a 1991 for $150. But how do I know if it's got problems as well. I could buy it and have it to poke around with/rebuild and then if it comes ok, swap it in. That way I can just use mine for now and just keep filling it up :). As far as gear ratios, My jeep is stock, is 3.55 still an improvement? Then I need to swap out the rear at the same time right? Not sure if that is in the budget. Thank for all the ideas, keep em coming thx..

Right. Matching gear ratios, front and back, is a must. Otherwise your wheels would want to rotate at different speeds.

Going from 3.07 to 3.55 would be a noticeable change. Not a super rock crawler change, but certainly enough to feel. It would have more "pep". Especially if you have stock tires.

If you are up to doing axle swaps, you're up to axle seals.

Back