• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need some help... 94 xj

nader89

NAXJA Forum User
okay friends i just purchased a 94 xj 4.0 ho auto with an aw4 trans. here are my issues and if anyone has any input it is all welcome cause idk where to go from where im at now... okay so the trans is not shifting right when i put it in drive it takes off and gets up to about 4000 rpm then shifts then i gotta feather in and out of the throttle to get to the next gear. i unplugged the tcm and i can shift it manually great just dont have second so i know the trans is mechanically sound must be electrical. so any thoughts on the trans issue? maybe tps or solenoids?

next is today i had it in the shop and i recharged the a/c and its working good but i drove it home with the a/c on and it sat outside for about a hour and a half and now it wont start? any ideas on what that could be? i can lay under the truck and hear the fuel pump kick on for just a couple seconds like it should and i have fuel in the rail at the pressure release so maybe cps? any ideas or guides would be great thanks. i have had the heat bath problem also after it sits about 15 mins after driving it cuts a buck when you start it back up for a min or two but then smooths out and runs great.

thanks
naxja friends!!!

okay friends i just purchased a 94 xj 4.0 ho auto with an aw4 trans. here are my issues and if anyone has any input it is all welcome cause idk where to go from where im at now... okay so the trans is not shifting right when i put it in drive it takes off and gets up to about 4000 rpm then shifts then i gotta feather in and out of the throttle to get to the next gear. i unplugged the tcm and i can shift it manually great just dont have second so i know the trans is mechanically sound must be electrical. so any thoughts on the trans issue? maybe tps or solenoids?
If I had to guess I would go with TPS

next is today i had it in the shop and i recharged the a/c and its working good but i drove it home with the a/c on and it sat outside for about a hour and a half and now it wont start? any ideas on what that could be? i can lay under the truck and hear the fuel pump kick on for just a couple seconds like it should and i have fuel in the rail at the pressure release so maybe cps? any ideas or guides would be great thanks. i have had the heat bath problem also after it sits about 15 mins after driving it cuts a buck when you start it back up for a min or two but then smooths out and runs great.
doesn't crank? or does turn over but doesn't start?

okay then I was sorta thinking the tps for the trans issue and yeah it will crank over all day but it will not fire up. it was running great until I shut it off when I got home then about 2 hours later I went to start it back up and it wouldn't start just cranks over. thanks for your response!

If the starter turns the motor, then the problem is with combustion--one of fuel, spark, or air. Check for spark to see if ignition system is working. Check for fuel pressure to see if the pump is running. If both are there, try holding the gas pedal down while you crank it to open the air flow.

The no start issue I had with mine ended up being a bad crank sensor. no spark, and no injector pulse = crank sensor. As far as your transmission issue goes, I am having a similar issue with mine. I have done a ton of work to the trans trying to rule out certain things. I have replaced the valve body with a known good one, the two shift solenoids, added another trans cooler with a fan attached, replaced and I have replaced the tps. If I ever figure out what is causing my shifting issues I will post back and let you know.

Shut off the ac blower, then put the key in and try to start it. Mine won't start with the blower on, run with the blower on anymore. Just out of the blue.

Back