• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power mirror blows fuse

MSRT74

NAXJA Forum User
This week I'll be chasing down a gremlin in my electrical system.When ever I try to adjust my power mirrors, it blows the fuse. Thoughts, ideas and where to start is greatly appreciated. I've already try replacing the switch, still does it. As far as I can tell, there have been no mods to the electrical...it all appears stock.

Thanks in advance.

What year? I would start by checking where the wiring goes through the doors into the cab. It flexes a bunch here and if it is broken at all could be grounding out. I have the factory service manual for a 2000 so if it is around that year, can take a look.

It's a 92. I am replacing the radio and speakers this week as well and thought that would be a great time to chase down this gremlin. Since the door panels will be off and some of the dash.
I've got a FSM, but it's at my friends house at the moment. He's bringing it over when he helps out with the install.
Thanks, I'll check that. Didn't occur to me about all the flex and abuse that area gets.

What year? I would start by checking where the wiring goes through the doors into the cab. It flexes a bunch here and if it is broken at all could be grounding out. I have the factory service manual for a 2000 so if it is around that year, can take a look.

What he said... Mine were rubbed through the wires on my 98 Euro spec XJ 3 years ago.

It's very common for the speaker wire to break at the crimp in the door boot so I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Power Mirror wiring was grounding out. do you notice if it's a specific side, or both?

I *MAY* be able to find a wiring diagram for it if you need it, but it gets a bit difficult for me to find stuff earlier than 95. Let me know I have no problem searching through the diags at work.

Back