• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission fluid leak

jeep ride

NAXJA Forum User
My 98 xj with 4.0L AW4 230 Thousand miles when I start going up the highway mountain roads interstate or two lane roads my tranny starts leaking fluid from the front of the transmission and gets on exhaust pipe and smoking it only does it when I'm driving up hills and such as long as i drive around town flat highways no problems. What would cause this is there a vent or something that could be plugged up?

If it's overfilled, it will puke out the vent onto the exhaust pipe when the fluid gets hot - like going up hills. Is it overfilled?

Stock tires or ?
Are you running a trans cooler?
Had a friend that would do this on the freeway when hitting grades. Gearing and a trans cooler fixed the problem. He was running 35 on 355 gears, worked it way to hard.

when my exhaust manifold cracked it caused my underhood temps to go up and it pukes out transmission fluid under stress, especially now that summer heat is here.

does it get worse depending on the outside temp, with or without AC running?

i also run 31's with 355 gears

Outside temp doesn't seem to effect it no A/C it hasn't done it for a while but I haven't been on any long up hill grades either just driving back forth to work.

i suspect that the transmission is overheating, if you have a temp gun check the trans temp under normal running conditions, then again when you notice the fluid leaking, i will bet you find that it is getting hot and puking through the vent tube like mine is.

Install a transmission cooler. Are you using Dexron-III/Mercon ? Overheating is what is causing that, what is causing the overheating ? Oversized tires on stock gears can generate excess heat, internal slippage can also. Overdrive shifting in and out as happens on hilly highways generates lots of heat.

Yes its dexroni 3 I don't feel any slipping I believe your last comment is what the problem is Its time for fluid/filter change add a tranny cooler use 3rd gear in the mountains. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Back