• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 pilot bearing bushing? Removal or location replacement

hillcameron415

NAXJA Forum User
Had to yank my 4.0 and replace it. The donor 4.0 is from an auto, and I have a 5 speed. I bought a pilot bearing, and its way too small in diameter. In the old motors crank, there's a spacer or bushing in between it and the pilot bearing. Any idea how to get it out? Or where can I buy a new one? The stealership said they've been discontinued:laugh:

Thanks

wet toilet paper and a dowel that fits tightly in the bushing.

pack toilet paper behind bushing, insert dowel, smack it with a hammer until it seats.
Continue packing toilet paper and hammering.

Eventually it will force the bushing out.

There are two sizes of pilot bearings depending on your transmission, and there are differing sized holes in the crank depending on year.
The bearings exist, just not at a dealership. you'll have to make measurements of shaft and hole and get the appropriate sized bearing.

There is an old shade tree mechanics trick for those. First you get a wooden dowel the same size as the inside of the spacer. If all fails on searching for one, get one as close as possible but bigger. Wrap sand paper around it and twist, sanding down the dowel until it is a slip fit. Then you pack the hole with grease covered toilet paper and cram it in the hold until it is full. You then put the dowel in the hole and hit it with a big hammer. The hydraulic action of the greasy TP will drive out the spacer.

wet toilet paper and a dowel that fits tightly in the bushing.

pack toilet paper behind bushing, insert dowel, smack it with a hammer until it seats.
Continue packing toilet paper and hammering.

Eventually it will force the bushing out.

There are two sizes of pilot bearings depending on your transmission, and there are differing sized holes in the crank depending on year.
The bearings exist, just not at a dealership. you'll have to make measurements of shaft and hole and get the appropriate sized bearing.

The bearing I bought looks identical to the old one. Just need the spacer.
1990 4.0 ax15

Back