• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knocking noise

Hey guys, my 96 Cherokee has a knocking noise coming from the front,right wheel. It only occurs at low speed, below 20 mph and is worse when turning.
I am thinking it may be either a ball joint or a u joint?
It started after the first time i took the jeep off road, not serious off roading or anything, just some fire trails and ruts, etc.
What do you guys think?
Your help is much appreciated.

Check the control arms bushings, the sway bar bushings, the sway bar end link bushings, the track bar bushings, and the shock bushings. Check the torque on all the fasteners. Make sure the coil spring retainer clip is present and snug. Check the ball joint, check the u-joint.

This just happened on my wife's Jeep. We realized that my daughter put a softball under the drivers seat and that was the cause of the noise. Check for softballs under your seat...

However, if your floorboards are free of sporting equipment, I will x2 on what Tim said.

This just happened on my wife's Jeep. We realized that my daughter put a softball under the drivers seat and that was the cause of the noise. Check for softballs under your seat...

However, if your floorboards are free of sporting equipment, I will x2 on what Tim said.

LMAO, we need a thread of those thngs that go knock in the night LOL.

One of that gets me time after time is my keys hanging down and clicking against the column and stuff in the tray under the glove box rattling. :banghead:

OP!! Is the jeep 4WD or 2WD? If 4WD drive check the front drive shaft U joint (double Cardone U-Joint)
Also the shock absorbers.

Sounds like an axle u-joint dried out and is not moving.

Back