• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 xj alternator upgrade to 136A

shmicah

NAXJA Forum User
I know its been asked a million times, and I've read all the threads. I'd like to double check my understanding.

Looking to upgrade my 1999 XJ 4.0L I6 Automatic to an 136A alternator.

I've already purchased 4AWG welding copper wire and a 150A ANL Fuse and kit, so I'm set on 136A.

My understanding is I can buy a 136A alternator from a 1999+ Grand Cherokee/Durango V8. It has the new style 2-prong connector, rather than the posts that were stopped in 1998.

The issues are:
  • Slightly larger alternator size requires bracket grinding to fit.
  • 136A alternator requires slightly larger pulley diameter (58mm vs 54.7mm of XJ 117A). Keep original pulley to ensure higher idle current.
  • 136A alternator uses 7 groove pulley, versus 6 groove for XJ. The 99 Grand Cherokee alternator I see on rockauto uses 6 groove pulley, so I think this is a pre-1999 thing?
  • Connector - Looking at RockAuto, my stock alternator has the 2-prong connector rather than the post. As long as my replacement 136A alternator has the 2-style prong connector, I am set. Clock Position and that other stuff doesn't matter.

So this TYC 2-13790 136A alternator for a 1999 Grand Cherokee V8 should work in my 1999xj 4.0L I6 with minimal bracket grounding:

http://www.amazon.com/TYC-2-13790-Replacement-Alternator/dp/B0057FJRMU

I just ordered a 2000 Durango 5.9L Remy alternator from Rockauto. It has a $90 core - does anyone have experience with sending back a different unit than what you bought? I'm hoping they refund me for my 99 XJ core.

Back