• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing out an alternator on a 96 XJ

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at changing out my alt for the first time so I'm looking for some procedural steps. I would guess first my serp belt comes off but after that I'm not sure. The a/c compressor seems like it was right on top of the alt so I'm guessing the alt would slip out the bottom somehow?

Also I'm away from home and got zero tools so I'm gonna have to get whatever I need before jumping into this. Other than a full socket and ratchet set are there any other tools I'll need to get this done?

Disconnect and remove battery. You should only need 15mm socket, 15mm wrench, 10mm & an 8mm if memory is correct. Yes it can slip out the bottom. Losten serp belt and remove (14mm maybe?)

you need no special tools.

relieve belt tension.

Unbolt alternator.

It will literally fall out the bottom. you can do all of it laying on your back in a campground in 15 minutes.

DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE BELT.
or you will kill your new alternator in a short time frame. if in doubt set it loose. if it squeals when you turn on the AC it's too loose, tighten it little by little until no squeal.

edit:
and the battery doesn't need to come out. Just remove the cables and secure them.

This was not easy but it's done now. Bleepinjeep video didn't seem to match what I was looking at so just winged it from pieces of advice.

Loosened belt, removed batt and tray. Loosened and removed alt bracket from underneath then alt came out through the top. Looked impossible to come out from the bottom. Much obliged on the belt tension advice though.

Back