• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering knuckle repair: brake pad slides.

Dragonlich1961

NAXJA Forum User
During the replacment of my passenger axle joint, I discovered that groves have been worn in the pad slides.

From what I've found this is an inevitable problem.
How difficult is the repair, welding and reshape.

My plan is to go to a junkyard and grab a pair off of another axle and repair those, then swap them on to mine.
This is my daily so downtime must be kept minimal.
What model and year knuckels will work?

I'm not doing the wj swap. It's years down the road. I know the rotors changed mid 99 as well as the unit bearings. Did the knuckle change as well?
I also know that renix knuckles won't work since calipers are different.

94 Xj 2dr 4.0 auto 3" w/30's

I just did it. Took longer for me to get the wheels and calipers off than it did to clean up the grooves, fill them and then grind flush. I was hoping that since it looked like the pads were catching on the lip that filling them would help my soft but adequate pedal and if it did, it was marginal at best.

One mine it seams like sometimes I press the pedal and there will be a momentary snag, then move a bit farther. Like the pad moves, hits notch, moves again.

Back