• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Tow Question

clydefrog

NAXJA Forum User
Here is my question: What can the NP231 handle in 4wd?

It has a slip yoke eliminator from AA (beefier shaft) but I am more concerned with how it will hold up if i tow in 4wd (just briefly coming out of a boat ramp).

This is a 1987 XJ with a modded 5.3 Chevy Vortec with Ford 8.8 in the rear, reinforced frame, bumper, front and rear brakes etc. I am no dummy, I wont tow over 5k, I understand physics, my sailboat weighs just north of 4,300 fully loaded with the trailer. Tows quite nice, plenty of juice for the hills, plenty of stopping power, handles nice with the dual axle trailer. Only problem I have is some boat ramps can be slippery pulling out. My sailboat has a deep draft so I have to back the Jeep down into the water (front and rear wheels). Sometimes the rear tires will give a bit of spin coming out, I want to kick in 4wd but not sure if it can handle the torque.

I did research and found out that the stock NP231 can only handle 5,900ish pounds of gross vehicle weight. Does upgrading to a SYE up that number a bit? Any input would be much appreciated, don't want to snap anything at the ramp. I am at ~7,000 to ~8,000 pounds total with the trailer.

IMG_4569.jpg

your fine.

we used to tow my fathers ~4000# chris craft to the boat ramp (when highway driving wasnt neccessary) back when it was stock. certain times of year got pretty slick with algea. 2 and 4wd was never a problem. the bigger issue for the little jeep was stopping the boat, especially with surge brakes.

I use 4lo pretty regular pulling up the boat ramp. Takes very little throttle for my stock engine to pull out. My boat is at 3,100# with trailer so I'm lighter than you but still don't see you having any issues.

When our rig was on 33's we towed our 18ft runabout with it. Had to be about half way in water for boat to start coming off trailer. We used 4wd just about everytime we launched the boat without problems. You should be fine.

Awesome, thanks for the replies.

Its funny, the other sailors in my area have to use a trailer extension to launch their boats with a truck, I just get in there with the Jeep and take a swim, I will have to post some pics....

I think most of them use the extension just to keep their trucks out of the salt water, not so much for fear of traction.

And as the others said, you'll be fine. If you wanted to full throttle assault up a sand dune towing that boat, you might find us saying otherwise - but the np231 was put into chevy 1500's with the 350 and tow package, so you're still in the ballpark.

Back