• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rain Doors Idea

Lgoss5127

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, so I've been brainstorming ideas for what I call "Rain Doors". I run doorless on my 97 XJ and instead of throwing the doors on every time it calls for rain or sitting in a wet seat, I'm gonna try something I haven't seen on here and would like some input on it. I want to take either 12 gauge thick heavyduty shower curtain or some 3-4mm thick clear flexible PVC sheets and pretty much make soft doors out of it. I would use little snap buttons (don't know the real name of them) to secure it around the door jam or surrounding area and remove the buttons during the cold months so the doors can go on. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult in my head, but I always like to hear what others think or maybe if someone has a better idea! Thanks!

-Loagan

I would have a shop that makes boat canvas an have them work with you on what you would like. I've had a shop make several different things for my boats and tractors over the years. The biggest thing is the grade material they use stands up well to driving speeds. I have a Bimini top on my bey boat that runs 60mph and have no problems. Second recommendation is to source your materials from boating supply if you DIY as they hold up well and are UV protected.

How are you going to snap the thing shut if you are inside? Sounds like you need at least some sort of frame.

You could add a zipper in it that acts like a window so you can snap them shut from the inside. All you would have to do is undo the zipper snap them shut then zip it back up. I don't know how much water would get in through the zipper though.

I've seen it done once but can't find the pictures but some one made half doors or 1/4 doors then had a snap button or zipper outline of the door frame and had a boat shop make a soft top like a wranglers.

I have a bunch of sheet metal laying around so I'm going to try and fab up some sort of frame with some pins for the hinges and a makeshift latch to hold it shut. I do like the zipper idea but it seems like a lot of work lol

Doors are tough, because they have to open and close and you have to be able to operate them from both sides. Simply covering the opening is easy, making it functional is difficult. Sounds like you really need to build a full height tube door and have it covered at a boat or automotive upholstery shop. I've had a couple "curtains" done for open top vehicles like my Amigo, Suzuki Samurai, etc. that covered the open area behind the seats and had a shop that does convertible tops make them. That's a lot simpler job though because it doesn't have to act as a door.

Yup that's it, I love the look and I hope to do the same with my spare doors I have for half doors.
0d5b36256d61d277c54fb6a596f621a3.jpg

Another option is build it like the wrangler doors, bend up some solid rod or pipe frame, add canvas and window and have it slid into the half door via two holes drilled into the doors

Back