• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Research

jwhitt72

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to install new shocks on my rig, and just trying to get some opinions on some different options. I can't affordfox shocks, unfortunately. What is a good quality shock that isn't too expensive?

Just like VA said, Bilstein would be my choice. I run 5100s for 4" lift, and they are nice.

For a stock Jeep, KYB makes excellent shocks. I run gas-a-Just on my 87 Ford Ranger, and that truck rides WAY nicer than it should. Used Excel-G before that, they were softer for highway usage.

This is the part of the responses where somebody says whitebody shocks are whitebody shocks.

I like my bilsteins.

BDS or DoetschTech DT-3000. I have owned both and would buy them again.

I have 5100 series on mine with 4" and hate the ride, BUT I live in Houston where almost all the roads are concrete with rough expansion joints, AND my second hand front springs (3" zone off-road with a 1" spacer) seem pretty stiff. I will hold off on my final judgement of the shocks till I swap my front springs to something softer.

My 97 has 5100s and I'm not impressed, the ride is rough and bouncy.
I preferred the previous OME shocks.
The 2001 has Bilstein 5165s, which are a night and day difference, they take out much of the low speed harshness but still respond well to hard hits.
You get what you pay for when it comes to shocks.

Thats pretty much the nail on the head.

If you can't afford <blah blah>, it doesn't really matter what you buy, because below a certain price point they are all more or less the same. A cheap shock can't performe like a more expensive one, period.

The baseline good shock would be in Bilstein, a 5150/5165 - I honestly don't know if anyone else offers a comparable shock in a comparable price but I'm sure they do.

Buy cheap shocks. Start saving pennies to buy good shocks. ;)

The other problem that I haven't seen mentioned is that one shock that may work great on one guys rig may work like crap on yours. With budget shocks the valving is what the valving is, and if your vehicle is heavier or lighter than what the shock was designed around it's gonna perform poorly. Since everyone builds their rigs differently and weights between 2 similar looking XJ's can vary greatly it's pretty tough to know what off the shelf shock is gonna work. In the long run you'll be better off saving up for something that can be tuned for your rig, then tuned again if you change it.

Being a budget wheeler, I have had good luck with doetsch. I have been told it is important match your shocks to your spring rates. I tend to carry a heavy load having five people and camping gear often. So i went with stiffer spring rates. I also found the stiffest doetsch shocks to match. It is a good combo. Ive also just recently noticed a huge increase in ride quality for the rearend. I upgraded from shackle relocators, with huge shackles, and flatter springs. To iro 3.5" springs with 1 extra leaf, no lift relocators, and boostwerks comp shackles. Same shocks though. The rear end seems much softer and planted.

I also dont have sway bars so the stiffer springs and shocks make it nice handling wise when unloaded for dd duties.

In the future ill probably upgrade but for now these work well for me. Not everyone sets there rig up heavy though. Im also not racing through the dessert. Usually slow rubicon style wheeling or freeway use. There are much better shocks for more money but these work for me.

doetsch makes many different firmness shocks. Im sure they can fit most rigs that are budget driven.

Last edited:
Back