• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back brakes don't seem to engage

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
So my jeep seems to be very front brakes biased. Ever since the lift and larger tires went on, my jeep seems really hard to stop. I cannot explain it other than it feels as if the back brakes don't engage at all. Anyone else experience this? Any way to resolve it. 1995, 3" lift, 31's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock drum brakes? Have you checked adjustment? Worn shoes?

Yes stock drum brakes, I haven't checked adjustment. I should check the shoes as well. Thanks.

Put discs onit. I chased that problem for years, and after numerous brake jobs, brake parts and 3 different axles, I put an 8.8 in with discs and the difference is huge. The factory drums just suck and really aren't up to the task. The

Put discs onit. I chased that problem for years, and after numerous brake jobs, brake parts and 3 different axles, I put an 8.8 in with discs and the difference is huge. The factory drums just suck and really aren't up to the task. The

This is the correct answer, The drums on my XJ's seemed to need constant adjustment to keep working correctly, I swapped to ZJ rear disc., Problem solved!

You might also upgrade to the double brake booster swap for 96' and up. A late year 95' might have it already, not sure. Tons of posts on it here.

I am going to do the ZJ swap. I was going to go the ford 8.8 route but I have a Dana 44 I am going to put in the XJ. I will get what I need and put those brakes on the 44 and then slap it under the jeep.

Back