• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear shifter question

Chiefgunner1

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a detailed guide on how to re-install the shifter handle on a 1999 auto XJ. I pulled the handle off to remove the console so I can change out the parking brake switch. I am able to get everything back together again, but I am unsure how the spring and little plastic piece goes back together. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 98 with AW4 (automatic). My handle just pulls off with straight up pressure. There's a nylon piece that goes inside the shift lever shaft (looks like a 2 inch cylinder with half a dozen pop beads attached to it). Don't see a spring.

If you're talking about the cup inside of the "T" handle and the spring mechanism that runs from the button on the left side of the handle and depresses the nylon piece inside the shift lever, I don't think that's serviceable.

When I pulled the "T handle" off of the shifter, the spring and the plastic piece flew out in seperate directions. I cannot for the life of me figure out the sequence that those pieces go back into the handle. I just need to know what oder the spring and the other piece goes together. I also need to know which end of the sping goes in first.

Don't have any idea. If the button fell out see which ends of the spring fits in it and experiment. Since the factory service manual doesn't show any schematic of how the handle itself is put together it probably isn't serviceable. You may just have to go to a "pick and pull" and pick up an old one.

Got it figured out. Google to the rescue. I thought the spring and the plastic "T" piece went in between the handle and the gear shift arm. These pieces in fact went to the gear shift button. Once I found a diagram, it went back together easily.

Back