• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix low oil pressure fixed

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
My oil pressure dropped from about 40 to 18 psi. Changed the STP oil filter, installed a K & N racing style filter (premium-like I normally use) and the pressure returned to 42 PSI. Filter must have been too dirty (had a lot miles on it). The pressure went back up with out touching the oil. Drained the oil later after confirming the oil pressure back to normal.

STP is a crappy filter like Fram. I'm not surprised and thanks for posting this up.

Got your fuel sender done yet?

No that is all on hold for a week or two now, it is the fuel pump that died, .......this week and week end is all about my son graduating with his physics degree and my daughter visiting from Detroit this weekend to see her big brother finally graduate. :clap:

Also still fighting to finish the Ford and Saturn, whose parts arrived. My son needs a pair of wheels running and back right away. Having a camber issue on the Saturn after installing new parts, and been battling the transmission issues on the Ford.....so the 89 4WD spare Renix sits and waits again. Also had to finish multiple items on my daughters 2wd 89 Renix so she can drive her old buddy during her visit. Trying to get the ford or Saturn road worthy again for my son. He needs wheels till august, then he moves to China for a year, then back here to work on his Masters degree.

Last edited:
There's a few good oil filter comparisons that show what's actually inside of them on YouTube

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

Many great old threads here on the subject and on the "bobstheoilguy" web site. I just thought I would confirm the STP filter findings and oil pressure gauge data while I had it, with no questions left as to what caused the low pressure. I suspect the oil filter got pushed hard to 8000 plus miles while I was sick and two of my kids put a lot of miles on her very fast....

One good reason to have a pressure gauge and not an idiot light that says "Hello you are screwed" :eek: LOL

I always stock up on the napa gold/ wix filters . I change em every 1k-3k but my rig only sees like 1-3K a year so it ends up being once a year

I literally throw away STP filters (auto zone oil specials usually have the oil + filter cheaper than just the oil, then I walk outside and throw the STP away or tell the guy behind the counter he can have it )

I really like the K&N filters on, well, pretty much everything, but especially on my 4.0 since the nut on the back makes taking it off a bit easier. Also, I seem to recall K&N claiming that their filters filter down to 10 microns vs. 15 for most other filters (but this is a whole other can of worms, with what percentage of what size particles, pressure drops, yada, yada, yada.)

I've been using motorcraft on our 4.0s, both are 90s maybe the threading is different so it's not the best choice for others.

I hate the idiot gauges the worst. Older vehicles with the mechanical gauges I know what's happening with the motor, my f150 has a glorified idiot gauge, even though is has a oil pressure gauge on the dash it's an idiot light, if the pressure is good far as the idiot light sender is concerned the gauge on the dash is always in the good pressure zone. Very misleading. Supposedly manufactures got rid of real gauges to cut down on true idiots bringing their car in for the engine heating up and viscosity dropping. For me it's a handicap not being able to have a sense of what's happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two of the NAPA stores in our area have a display on the counter with a Fram filter and a NAPA Gold filter cut open. No comparison. The cheap filters look like something you could get at the Dollar Store...The NAPA filter looks like an actual filter. The price difference is about 2 bucks.

Back