• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Searched: Need more info on renix block into an HO XJ

dac612

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I'm hoping to find more info to help save some coin where I can.

I have a good 90 renix block/head ready to go. I do have the intake for it as well BUT This motor is going into my 95 which has bad block and head.

I realize the ports do not line up well to just slap on the HO intake manifold to the renix head but I was wondering if you guys can recall anyone doing this with success? If filing the head or manifold could fudge it close enough? As this will save me the most time and money.

Any other tidbits on this subject are welcomed.

Also willing to trade both to someone here in socal for a running HO long block if that happens to come up :p

Just wanted to update this for future searches. As I've seen the question asked quite a few times with only a few replies.

I swapped a 1990 renix block and head into my 95 xj that HAD an HO.

I swapped all sensors over, (and did not use 2 of the renix sensors) I just left them on the block.

I decided to switch the oil filter adapter since I had both but wanted to keep buying the same filter (renix I believe uses a metric threaded filter) This one was slightly funky. The filter adapters were slightly different BUT it was no big deal I used the complete adapter from the ho motor and have no leaking after initial testing.

You'll need the thermostat housing from the HO motor so you can use the temp sensor there. the renix housing does not have a port for this sensor. Easy.

The one difference in the blocks was the Renix block did not come with provisions for the HO coil. I fashioned a bracket that 'L'd off of a valve cover stud and down into place. and ran an extra ground from the bracket to the battery for good measure. zero issues with this as well so far.

I used teh HO valve cover as the mounting for the vent elbows different between the covers.

The intake + exhaust +gasket are all HO. I decided to not do any port matching after reading/asking a member here about his experience. and just went with it. It's true the ports do not line up perfectly. I was willing to try it out and disassemble if needed to re-work so I installed as is. mis-matched ports and everything.

So far so good. Jeep runs and drives great. CA Smog will be the next adventure. Will update when I pass that.

Back