• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new to jeeps/fresh rebuild question

INEEDA

NAXJA Forum User
Hey y'all! First post of many I hope lol. Anyway, I purchased an 01 xj sport that is bone stock with a blown engine. #6 piston was in pieces in the oil pan. I opted for the rebuild, so I pulled the engine and took it over to a local engine shop. should be back this week, maybe next. Question is what all am I going to need to replace accessory wise other than the obvious (thermostat/housing, water pump, oil press switch, cps, tensioner, belt). it was pretty neglected as far as maint goes. Cooling system looked like sunny d, Trans fluid looks like engine oil, and I know the diffs/transfer case have never been serviced. Do I need to replace the rad/heater core or could I just flush it? Any other things to replace? First xj, first post...please be gentle :looney:

Every time an engine is rebuilt always replace the oil pump.( cheap insurance). I'd also recommend a balancer. There is a rubber ring inside separating the two halves and over time this allows the halves to move. New seals should be obvious. I like felpro. I'd replace the timing chain set as well, over the life of the engine the chain wears. Or" stretch " this can cause a slight loss in power since the chain is alowing the cam to move around in relation to the crank.
Sounds like an auto so I'd replace the flexplate. They are prone to cracking with higher mileage. Abuse can cause it to. The heater core is a bit of a job. A new rad would again be cheap insurance. If you don't replace the core then flush the living daylights out of it. You do not want the crud in it to reach your new CLEAN engine.

Also since yours is a 2001 you have a 0331 casting number head. Have the machine shop inspect it for cracks. 0331 heads have a greater tendency for cracking, usually between 3&4. Something caused the 6th piston to self destruct.

Since the front of the trans is there I'd inspect the front input seal of the trans. Replace if it looks like it's leaking.

Last edited:
Oil pump has been replaced, as well as the timing set. The head was magnafluxed and came out with a clear bill of health. got all new valves/seals/lifters/springs as well. didn't think of the flex plate tho! And I'm pretty sure he's putting a new harmonic balancer. I think the piston exploded because lack of maintenance. interior/exterior are perfect...however all the fluids didn't look like the had ever been changed. There was so much build up on the head you couldn't hardly make out the valve springs lol. But for $200 bucks I'm not complaining!
16465805898785663597.jpg

i'd drain and refill all fluids as well as put a filter in the transmission. new radiator will help keep the engine cool and CLEAN. flush the heater core. use new Radiator hoses.
Over all it's a clean 2001.
Inspect behind the rear bumper caps, the later model ones can trap dirt and cause rust.
Whats the mileage on her?

Replace the head with a tupy or reinforced 0331 head. Mine went at 215,000 m. Pay a little now or a lot later.

She has 224k and some change on her. The gentleman that owned it before admitted he didn't change the oil frequently...made me wanna throat punch him lol. she is in good shape otherwise. Front end is tight, no leaky seals anywhere. He just drove her till she quit! And technically she didn't die...I drove it off the trailer and backed it in my shop! I Also fumigated the neighborhood in the process lol. I thought about a head, but this is kinda a budget build...I wish I could get the approval, but momma freaked at the 2100 dollar rebuild.

Back