• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Electric Fan rotation

DanDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
The factory fan started vibrating awful. I purchased a Dorman replacement from Advance Auto. First off it has fewer blades and required an adapter (supplied) to correctly attach the pig tale. All looked well until I noticed that when it comes on it blows the hot air out of the radiator. I thought it was suppose to suck in toward the engine. I could reverse the wires and it should rotate the opposite direction but the "cups" on the blades would be backwards. The description on the website does not describe the rotation. Sitting in the drivers seat it rotates CCW. The OEM fan has the blade "cups" going the opposite direction. Did Dorman build it this way or did they screw up?I'm going to jumper the OEM fan to confirm. And yes the engine runs hot even with the fan running. Any insight would be appreciated.

DanDxj

someone screwed up. its supposed to suck air through the radiator. swap the terminals in the connector.

On most designs (generally) reversing rotation (polarity) doesn't reverse airflow due to the pitch of the blades. It just works well in the designed direction and has poor airflow when rotation is reversed.

Any possibility to flip the entire assembly (housing) 180 degrees?

Back