• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 XJ Limited Mid-Throttle Power Loss and Growling Noise

LKN_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there! First post here. I'll Scott over and find an intro thread and post there too. I'm having an issue I can't diagnose...

My Jeep is a 1991 XJ limited with the 4.0 and NP242. I should start by saying I had the transfer case out this weekend (needed to check input shaft length because I'm swapping to a 231 and needed to make sure my spare would swap in - so it was a literal take 242 off, put 242 back on while 231 is being rebuilt).

Everything went back together pretty smoothly. I really didn't have any issues other than the wires on top of the speedo gear ripped out of the connector, so i'm running without a speedo right now.

Fast forward to yesterday. It was the first time since the T-case work that the engine really got warmed up and I drove it around for 15 minutes or so. When cold, everything is great. Even when the engine comes to temperature things are still good. But after about 10 minutes when the drivetrain starts to accumulate heat, I start to lose power and I get this strange rough sounding growling noise at about half throttle. Power loss isn't devastating, but it is noticeable (I've driven this jeep for over 10 years so I'm pretty tuned in to what it typically sounds like). The noise actually sounds like the exhaust note changes at mid throttle and gets really throaty. I can't tell if it's something coming into interference and grinding as things heat up, or if it is totally unrelated to my work with the T-case.

I'm looking for things to check. At first I thought I may have bumped into an O2 sensor and it's causing things to run rich, so I replaced that and at first I thought that helped, but then the symptoms came back this morning on the way to work.

Here's what I know:

- Transfer case shifts into all 4x4 settings without hitch, and transmission shifts just fine
- Replaced U-joints on rear drive shaft about 2 weeks ago
- Replaced transmission mount while the T-case was off
- Replaced O2 sensor last night (I only have one from what I can see - at the down pipe)
- Checked transmission fluid and it was nice and red and the level was spot on
- Not leaking transmission fluid from anywhere (not at T-case, not between t-case and transmission)

I'm stumped. If the transfer case mated to the transmission then the splines are engaged and it seems like nothing can bind there. Then I'm thinking about maybe driveshafts but I can coast all day long smooth as butter. One theory I have is maybe front engine mounts got stressed too much while I had the transmission lowered to remove the T-case, and now the drivetrain is kinda in a bind? I don't know.

Hope you guys have some ideas I can check and I appreciate the help in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAT problems?

Funny you say that. I just got off the phone with the auto parts store and will be picking up a new cat and flange studs with gasket tomorrow morning.

I've known I needed a new cat for a while now, but just because it was rattling. It didn't cross my mind - I'll let you know how it turns out and thank you!

The aw4 needs the speedo signal in order to operate correctly. Keep that in mind.

The aw4 needs the speedo signal in order to operate correctly. Keep that in mind.

Thanks - can you explain that? My speedo hasn't worked for about 4 weeks now, well before the transfer case removal. Things have been functioning great in that time. What would malfunction if the signal was interrupted?

FYI - I am working on remedying the wiring.

Replaced the cat last night with a Magnaflow and that seems to have solved the problem. That was a heck of a job twisting the cat inside the tube to get it lined up with that flange. All the rusted bolts came loose with Mapp gas persuasion.

Thanks guys!

0eb7bf52b7503457bb84386b22cb319a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back