• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Rack ideas

Dragonlich1961

NAXJA Forum User
this is a plan for the rook rack ive been building, any thoughts and ideas are welcome and apreciated.
if it seams overkill it's cause it probrably is.

the top hoop measures 4'x5'. the bottom measures 4'x5' 4"
plan is to use 1x1. steel is ordered and on it's way.

It measures 6" total hieght, 4" inch vertical spacing.

Cross bars are 10" centers. Eventually it will have expanded metal on the bottom. The rear corners will be suported by a 1/8 plate.
Inside the rack you are able to see the 36" led bar the rack is being built to house.
This will be mounted to the gutters of my 94 using hopefully custom mounts. I have no factory rack.
IMG_20160416_185945_zps6yxsknob.jpg

Pretty sweet. Post pics when you build it.

I got a plan to make mine because I can't see why to spend almost the same for mounts as I did in the steel for the rack. Steel sets me back 110ish. 6 JCR mounts was 80ish. Hell no.

I got a plan to make mine because I can't see why to spend almost the same for mounts as I did in the steel for the rack. Steel sets me back 110ish. 6 JCR mounts was 80ish. Hell no.

By the time you add in the cost for the metal, cutoff wheels, flap disks, and the hardware I don't think 6 JCR mounts is all that bad of a buy.

I have powered through making some things that I realize I should have just bought and saved time, any frustration, instead of dealing with something that didn't really work like I imagined in the first place.

Maybe look at the NAXJA vendors/sponsors and see if they have something they can give you a discount price.

The mounts I'm making are from scrap steel my father brought home from work. And I already have the tools needed.
Besides I like a challenge.

KIMG0163_zpsnzwiduwk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's an update on the rack. Almost done, needed to get it out if my school since we only have one large work space and next week we start engine classes. Grinding would be a big no.

Some none structural parts are still missing due to time. I've got a week off that I'll be finishing the last few pieces.

Last edited:
1/8 I believe. It's manageable to move but takes two people to put it on. Thanks

I can only imagine.......I made this out of 1" x 120 wall, and it is heavy......it lets you put a normal full size cooler on it and still be able to open the back hatch, as well as not killing ground clearance. it did however, hasten the demise of the frame. The weight & leverage from using it to haul around a deer cracked the bottom inner corners of the frame rails on that jeep....and I mean 6-8: long cracks up the frame rails.

I made it small enough you can use it as a shelf inside the jeep since the z shaped hitch connection slides out of the basket by removing 2 quick release pins, just never made the legs to support it.

Last edited:
718c0c6d9e5eb5447f712b96b9322906.jpg

I recently cut the top off my confer rack and added 1x2 to the floor supports. Mounted it thought the stock rail holes

Mine was slightly complicated by the fact that I don't have factory rails. I have nothing. So I had no choice but to make gutter mounts.

Back