• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Cooler - Driver or Passenger Side?

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been reading through old posts about trans coolers and found a couple posts with conflicting info on which side is best to mount it (DS vs PS).
Most people seem to think in front of the mechanical fan is best so it gets constant airflow, while others noted an increase in engine temps with it in front of the mechanical fan because it blocks some airflow to the radiator. If I put it on the driver side, I will have a new factory 10 blade fan with a manual switch so I can provide constant airflow on that side as well.
I'll be running the B&M 70268 Super Cooler (7 1/2 in. x 11 in. x 3/4 in) along with a JCR winch bumper and an M8000. I have also removed all of the A/C so there's no condenser in front of the radiator.
Lastly, while there is more debate on the topic, I have decided to leave the factory heat exchanger plumbed in after the aux cooler since it will be in a cold weather climate.

Just need to decide which side to mount it on, any input?

Last edited:
I put mine on the drivers side and have had zero problems. I used a tranny cooler from a junkyard Explorer.

IMG_0203.jpg

Mine is on the driver side. I have a ZJ fan clutch, but otherwise my cooling system is completely stock. I drive in Houston with the A/C on in stop and go traffic. The only time I have ever had an overheating issue was when my coolant level got low from a leak where the thermostat housing met the block. I also have an ARB with an M8000 with the solenoid box in front of the radiator.

People who have overheating problems either try to "upgrade" the system with electric fans or a new fancy radiator. NOTHING beats a properly working stock system as far as keeping operating temperatures correct.

If I do mine over again I'll put it in the passenger side. So it's always in air flow. But I don't have a problem with it where it is now on the driver side

Thanks for the input. It's on a '91 Comanche that I'm restoring and the cooling system is 100% tip top with all new Mopar parts except for the CSF 3 row radiator. It's probably irrelevant either way, but I wanted to see if anyone had any new comments.
I think I'm leaning towards the driver side. That way the mechanical fan will be dedicated to engine cooling, and I can flip the switch for the electric fan if I need more cooling for the trans...

I put mine on the driver's side because the hoses were easier to rout there. I put it inline with the factory tank on the radiator and it's been just fine for me.

Both of my XJ's trans coolers are on the driver's side, in front of the electric fan.
When trail running or whenever the trans heats up, I turn the electric fan on with the override switch.

All of my stuff is plumbed with 3/8" tubing and trans cooler hose.
I use fuel injection hose clamps that grab tight and do not tear up the hose.

I put mine on the drivers side with a switch hooked up to the e fan. I have a temp gauge to monitor the trans temp. I can easily flip a switch to cool the trans down

Decided to go with the drivers side. Still working on the mounts but it's almost done. I think it's probably fine either way, but I liked the idea of have the mechanical fan side dedicated to engine cooling and having some ability to control the trans temp with the electric fan switch.

Finally had time to finish the mount (minus paint). If I was going to do it over again, I would put the steel straps under the top radiator support so I could push them in further and move the cooler closer to the radiator. There's a pretty big gap between the cooler and radiator and it's close to the header panel. I had to trim the fiberglass at the top so it would clear.

I was test fitting the hoses and I don't see a way to run them without having to trim the bottom lip of the fiberglass header panel. Did you guys have to trim the header panel where the hoses go into the lower cross member?

ZqtTMLk.jpg

c0rbY9q.jpg

1y9U5PB.jpg

DM9m8oH.jpg

I was test fitting the hoses and I don't see a way to run them without having to trim the bottom lip of the fiberglass header panel. Did you guys have to trim the header panel where the hoses go into the lower cross member?

Nope. No trimming of anything. Mine fit fine behind the bumper and the header panel.

Untitled.jpg

For packaging reasons, I always put it on the passenger side, and the power steering cooler on the drivers side.

Back