• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Game of guess the connector

Irishlt

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been going over, through, and around a bargain bin 97xj I picked up. Being my first jeep I'm learning on the go and after banging out a bunch of other things that needed attention i finally got around to rebuilding the alternator. In doing so, i found a couple wires with no homes. 1 is an actual connector that seemingly has no plug to go to by the alternator, 1 is really troubling me since it looks like it was just chopped off and is a thicker gauge wire near the pdc, and the last is just a curiosity of a connector in the middle of the front bumper valence. Pictures are attached but it was raining so they're not the best and thanks in advance for any/all help.

P.s. is this one of those forums where i should have introduced myself in a new member area somewhere? Either way...hi I'm new.

This is out of the harness at the alternator split, don't judge the rusty tranny lines. Rest of the jeep is clean as can be, especially being from the salt belt.
8beccb18a9aa3c040c682de43c296fbe.jpg

This is the sketchy lopped off, idk, 8ga? wire. Again on passenger side harness. Is there a ground I'm missing somewhere?
1754a276d14e75e0ffd7d0b074a2056a.jpg

1b53df3afb321ac072fe6c9c0f91250b.jpg

Aaand this is just the bumper connector that i guess could be for fogs, the sport i grabbed doesn't have them, but i was curious why it's dead center front bumper.
1d8da1f445e52832428ef5b9d0eb7afc.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so after wandering through the fsm, the bumper connector is likely ambient temp sensor for an overhead display. Still can't figure the other two.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I was going to say the only one I recognize was for the ambient temp . You figured that one out easy enough.

I'm not sure about the others, the cut wire especially.
Does everything work?
I wondering if something is not functioning or maybe was rerouted.

Someone who familiar with the 97 up will have a better idea of what those could be. If be worried if the went to some sort of factory immobilization and were cut out because of that, but just looking at the cut fire makes me think alternator.
Sometime the part of ecu that controls voltage dies so people rig a external alternator regulator.

Only guesses on my part hopefully someone who knows a better will respond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone rewired the ac compressor clutch assuming it works correctly. That first bigger grey connector hooks to a line that goes to my ac clutch the second pic where tape is on the loom is evidently someones rewire of the same. Not sure what they bypassed when doing this but they likely bypassed something like a high or low pressure switch, it makes it work but isn't ideal it does work though right?

Yeah everything kicks and clicks with the defrost and ac. And she runs fine, short of the crack in the flexplate knocking at me. That makes sense and isnt as concerning. I'm not an a/c guy anyhow. I just got nervous seeing a wire with that low of gauge not hooked to anything. Thanks guys i appreciate the help.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Back