• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 chain noise?? (VIDEO)

Felipe Tiago

NAXJA Forum User
My 1998 is giving me a hard time lately...

It makes a popping sound ONLY IN 4WD when going straight and it gets worse when I make a turn, the steering wheel even vibrates during the turns.

Do you guys think the noise in this video is coming from a bad transfer case chain?

Info:

- axel u-joints are brand new (Spicer)
- new wheel hubs
- new front differential bearings and seals
- slip joint in the front drive shaft was rebuilt yesterday to eliminate the play it used to have

This leaves me with two possibilities: double cardan joint or t-case.

The noise started after the front differential service and the t-case fluid change (last week).

What do you guys think? Just to be clear: in the video I was driving on beach SAND. In 0:09 the noise is clearly audible during a turn.

Last edited:
The sound in the vid is fast and rhythmic, and sounds like a tapping or light knocking. Transfer case popping is loud, more like a bang, and can be felt in the floor, only happens a few times, and you can see the transfer case jump when it happens.

The sound in the vid is fast and rhythmic, and sounds like a tapping or light knocking. Transfer case popping is loud, more like a bang, and can be felt in the floor, only happens a few times, and you can see the transfer case jump when it happens.

Exaclty, it's rhythmic... it seems to happen in each driveshaft rotation.

Hmmm, and I know that bang your talking about, it happened to me a few times in the past when climbing a steep hill...

So, this sounds more like the double cardan joint (or the u-joints there)?

Yes, replaced that end and the u-joint but not the double cardan centering yoke or the u-joints in it.

The slip yoke had a lot of play and to rebuild the double cardan joint I need to buy the centering ball kit from a US parts store and wait for it in Brazil, which usually takes a month or so. Then I decided to do that end first to see if the knocking sound would go away.

Sounds like a centering ball to me.

Back