• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" Lift Enough For A Mall Crawler?

If you are running a 17" rim, why not run stock JK 255/75X17 size tires?

If you are running a 17" rim, why not run stock JK 255/75X17 size tires?

I want to run a wider tire.

When I first got my Moab wheels, they had KO2 275/75 16s on them.

I stuck them on my XJ with its 1" factory Up Country lift, and they were awesome!

They also didn't rub at all ....

unless you turned the steering wheel,

or hit a bump,

or hit the brakes too hard.

Other than that, though .....

Jeep with ManTires ....

Jeep with ChickTires ...

Last edited:
I run 33s on mine with 3.5 and hacked fenders. Flex enough and it rubs, but for mall crawlin youll be good without hackin....

Thanks for the response.

What did the 33s do to your gas mileage?

Well I have 4.11s and when I had 31s was close to 18 on avg for highway city. Now with 33s it went down to closer to 15 16ish.

I want to run a wider tire.

When I first got my Moab wheels, they had KO2 275/75 16s on them.

I stuck them on my XJ with its 1" factory Up Country lift, and they were awesome!

They also didn't rub at all ....

or hit a bump,

Other than that, though .....

Jeep with ManTires ....

lol.

Isn't that exactly what multiple members told you was going to happen?
Then you just said that we were haters and didn't like to see you doing things with your jeep..

and now here you are.
3" will fix most of your issues, but they'll still rub on the lower control arms/front skidplate when turned to full lock. WJ arms will help, and maybe fix the issue. Aftermarket bent arms will be better.
The ultimate solution is narrower tires or a wheel with less backspacing.
Just like we told you months ago.

for reference
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1119906
that's your other thread where much good advice was given.
You're not going to fit a 12.5" wide 33 on stock wheels and not have it undriveable, even @ 3" of lift. The relationship to the suspension does not change with lift height.
Buy skinnier tires with less diameter, or commit to doing it proper with new suspension arms, fender trimming and everything that comes with running wide tires on low lift.

edit:
Link was just so people could see your last thread, so they'll know that you're not going to listen to experience and then get uppity.

Last edited:
lol.

Isn't that exactly what multiple members told you was going to happen?
Then you just said that we were haters and didn't like to see you doing things with your jeep..

and now here you are.
3" will fix most of your issues, but they'll still rub on the lower control arms/front skidplate when turned to full lock. WJ arms will help, and maybe fix the issue. Aftermarket bent arms will be better.
The ultimate solution is narrower tires or a wheel with less backspacing.
Just like we told you months ago.

for reference
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1119906
that's your other thread where much good advice was given.
You're not going to fit a 12.5" wide 33 on stock wheels and not have it undriveable, even @ 3" of lift. The relationship to the suspension does not change with lift height.
Buy skinnier tires with less diameter, or commit to doing it proper with new suspension arms, fender trimming and everything that comes with running wide tires on low lift.

edit:
Link was just so people could see your last thread, so they'll know that you're not going to listen to experience and then get uppity.

I understand you still have a very difficult time recognizing it, but my description of how the 275/75 16 KO2s didn't rub was a joke .... humor .... funny .... ha ha.

You really need to look into it.

More importantly, you're still doing the same thing you did in the thread you linked .... glancing over a post without fully reading it, becoming utterly outraged that someone would want to run something other than 15" tires on Soft 8s, and letting fly.

Yes, go look at that thread. See how you kept insisting that the 245/70 16s I have run on my MOAB wheels for the last 47,000 miles rub at full lock, and then became apoplectic when I tell you that is not correct, that they have never, ever, not once rubbed.

And now you've come into this thread and accused me of not taking advice, then coming on here and crying, blah blah blah, and of course, you're wrong again.

The situation I described in this thread is exactly as I described it in the one you linked. Let me (for the 3rd time) describe it for you ...

I bought my Moab wheels used.

They had tires on them.

The tires were 275/75 16 KO2s.

They were worn out.

No bueno.

I never intended to run them.

I knew the tires were worn out.

More importantly, I knew they were wayyyyy too tall, and probably too wide to fit on my Jeep with the 1" lift, even if they weren't worn out.

As I said in the thread you linked, I put the 275/75 16 KO2s on the Jeep "on a lark"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lark

2lark
noun
Definition of lark
: a source of or quest for amusement or adventure <thought life was a lark> <entered the race on a lark>

To even further clarify for you, I never, not for one single second planned on running those 276/75 16 KO2s. I put them on my Jeep to see how it looked with them on it. I drove it around the block to see how badly they would rub.

They rubbed A LOT; hence my joke: "They also didn't rub at all ....

or hit a bump,

Other than that, though ..... "

You, of course, took that literally, and came in to offer some of your "help", along with another dose of rage.

Look, I've been on the internets a long time, and unfortunately, I've run across people like you before. Anyone who doesn't want to do what you think they shoudl do is an idiot, and an enemy, and must be vanquished.

You clearly don't like me. You've made it clear that I don't show the proper gratitude for your "help" you so kindly give me. Why ruin your day with me? When you see one of my questions, why don't you just mumble "That guy's a jerk!" to yourself, and skip on over it?

It's not worth it man, you're going to give yourself a stroke!

I'm afraid to see what's going to happen when you find out I'm going to run Tuff T20R 17" wheels, or that a steering stabilizer fixed my death wobble.

Last edited:
Well I have 4.11s and when I had 31s was close to 18 on avg for highway city. Now with 33s it went down to closer to 15 16ish.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I have 3.55s, and in my searching, I've seen posts from guys who've lifted their Jeeps, put 33s on them, and saw their gas mileage drop into the single digits.

As cool as 33s would be, it's just not worth it to me to lose that much gas mileage. My Jeep is a 100% street vehicle, I don't offroad it at all. The only reason I'm looking at a bigger tire is looks, and to possibly improve its already awesome performance in abd winter weather.

I figured I'm at the perfect point to lift it and put a bigger tire on it .....

The 245/70 16s that I HATE have 47,000 miles on them. They won't balance properly anymore; it's time to replace them.

I just had the Kevin's Offroad Death Wobble Kit trackbar fail, and replaced it with the Rugged Ridge adjustable trackbar with the heim ends, so I can lift the front, if I want to.

My rear leafs are shot. When I measure from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the flare on the front, I get 18". The same measurement on the rear is 17", and it's dropped 1/2" since I measured it last year. Also, the stupid spring clamps won't stay on, and the jingle jangling when I go down the road drives me crazy. I put aftermarket bolt-on clamps on the leaf springs, but every couple of thousand miles, they come loose, too. I'm going to replace the leaf springs.

I figured with those three things, there's no better time than ever to lift the Jeep and put the tires I really want on it.

Still, 10 mpg isn't a tradeoff I want to make to have those super-cool 33s on there.

I've done a lot of looking, and Yokohama makes the Geolander AT/S in 275/60 17. That's 30.1" tall, and 11.1" wide. The 245/70 16s on it now are 29.5" tall, so that's close enough in height to (hopefully) not kill the mpgs.

I'm thinking it might be smart to just mount those up and see what kind of lift it would take to run them.

What do you think?

I DD mine, well I did but its out of commission right now, but IMHO the 31s were better for around town than the 33s. Offroad the 33s are a lot nicer. I would go with those yokos and see. If youre willing to cut the fenders that helps alot. If not you can still get some needed space with something like an ACOS or bigger isolator pads in the front. For the rear you could get a block, not ideal but for around town it wouldnt be the end of the world. Or just get new rears leafs with a little lift.

I DD mine, well I did but its out of commission right now, but IMHO the 31s were better for around town than the 33s. Offroad the 33s are a lot nicer. I would go with those yokos and see. If youre willing to cut the fenders that helps alot. If not you can still get some needed space with something like an ACOS or bigger isolator pads in the front. For the rear you could get a block, not ideal but for around town it wouldnt be the end of the world. Or just get new rears leafs with a little lift.

Since I'm going to replace the rear leafs, anyway, I'm thinking of OME springs; 2, or 3"; whichever works.

In the front, my springs are already 1" lift Up Country's. I've seen bigger isolator pads in 1 1/2" lift, 1 3/4" lift, and 2" lift, so I'm thinking I'll use whichever of those brings me to match whatever I do in the back.

With bigger isolators, do you need to do the drop brackets for the front swaybar?

With a 2", or 3" lift in the trar, will you need to lower the transfer case?

Also, I don't know what an "ACOS" is.

Since I'm going to replace the rear leafs, anyway, I'm thinking of OME springs; 2, or 3"; whichever works.

In the front, my springs are already 1" lift Up Country's. I've seen bigger isolator pads in 1 1/2" lift, 1 3/4" lift, and 2" lift, so I'm thinking I'll use whichever of those brings me to match whatever I do in the back.

With bigger isolators, do you need to do the drop brackets for the front swaybar? If you don't have new swaybar end links, yes.

With a 2", or 3" lift in the trar, will you need to lower the transfer case? Maybe. The best thing would be a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) kit and new rear shaft if you get vibrations.

Also, I don't know what an "ACOS" is.Adjustable Coil Over Spacers. They are made by JKS

A coil spacer is not a coil isolator and you should still run the stock isolator with the coil spacer, unless you get the JKS ACOS.

Lot of work to get cooler looking tires and snow driving on the street. Why don't you forego the lift and just buy some aggressive mud/snow tires, chains and a limited slip for the rear and call it a day? Save you a lot of money (and headaches) so you can buy more Magic cards once you get to the mall.

Lot of work to get cooler looking tires and snow driving on the street. Why don't you forego the lift and just buy some aggressive mud/snow tires, chains and a limited slip for the rear and call it a day? Save you a lot of money (and headaches) so you can buy more Magic cards once you get to the mall.

a) I already have limited slip

b) It's my Jeep .... It's my money .... I get to decide what I want to do with it. if you have some advice on how I might accomplish what I want to do, I'd sure appreciate it. Otherwise, have a nice day.

c) I don't play Magic when I go to the mall ... I teach taekwondo classes. That came in real handy when I came up on the jerk on his Soft 8s and 15s defacing my rig with "Mall Rated" stickers. Do you carry them around with you, too?

Exactly how were you helping me?

And if anyone is trolling, wouldn't it be the guy who comes in with no advice whatsoever on the question(s) I asked who tells me I need to do something else entirely; not because what I want to do can't be done, but because it doesn't fit in with the Soft 8 Nazi party line?

Got you confused with the guy saying he only wants to daily drive his jeep and not lose any gas mileage but have cooler looking tires for his self proclaimed mall crawler. The snow necessity was based on me thinking you were in CO and from reading a different thread; my mistake.

Simple logic would dictate that if you are worried about saving a couple dollars per fillup that you would be excited to save multiples of thousands of dollars doing upgrades that aren't necessary based on the info given.

But to answer the question in the subject, no. A three inch lift would be practical, functional and be aesthetically pleasing for a large amount of the off roading community. Since your only concern is with how cool your jeep looks to high school students that lift is far too short and tires far too small.

Got you confused with the guy saying he only wants to daily drive his jeep and not lose any gas mileage but have cooler looking tires for his self proclaimed mall crawler. The snow necessity was based on me thinking you were in CO and from reading a different thread; my mistake.

Simple logic would dictate that if you are worried about saving a couple dollars per fillup that you would be excited to save multiples of thousands of dollars doing upgrades that aren't necessary based on the info given.

But to answer the question in the subject, no. A three inch lift would be practical, functional and be aesthetically pleasing for a large amount of the off roading community. Since your only concern is with how cool your jeep looks to high school students that lift is far too short and tires far too small.

Well, I think it's pretty clear now who the troll is.

When it comes to snow, I've done blizzard rescue 7 times since I bought my Jeep in 1996. It ALWAYS gets through, and it has literally saved lives. I volunteer with Meals on Wheels one day a week, and in 19 1/2 years, no matter how bad the weather, my Jeep has gotten those meals delivered. More than once, the entire city has been shut down, but my Jeep got through. If you're in the Rocky Mountains, I assume you see even more extreme weather than I do. I assume you're out there in the shit helping people, too?

Do us both a favor ... the next time you see me ask a question on here ... just scroll on past.

And just to clarify .... I don't care how cool my Jeep looks to anyone but me.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
As cool as 33s would be, it's just not worth it to me to lose that much gas mileage. My Jeep is a 100% street vehicle, I don't offroad it at all. The only reason I'm looking at a bigger tire is looks, and to possibly improve its already awesome performance in abd winter weather.

Still, 10 mpg isn't a tradeoff I want to make to have those super-cool 33s on there.
These two sentences negate each other. You want big, cool looking tires, but not the drop in gas mileage that comes with it. They only way help that gas mileage drop is to regear, which it sounds like you are unwilling to do.

I've done a lot of looking, and Yokohama makes the Geolander AT/S in 275/60 17. That's 30.1" tall, and 11.1" wide. The 245/70 16s on it now are 29.5" tall, so that's close enough in height to (hopefully) not kill the mpgs.
275/60-17 are the stock tire size on my 2000 Expedition - they are WIDE. You will not be able to fit them without scrubbing the bejeebus out of your suspension on a Rubicon rim offset.

As for mileage, When I went from stock 225/70-15 to 30x9.5-15 on 3.55s, I lost about 1.5mpg average. When I had 31s, I lost 3.5mpg average. 30" tires seem to be the upper limit for minimal mileage loss.

a) I already have limited slip

b) It's my Jeep .... It's my money .... I get to decide what I want to do with it. if you have some advice on how I might accomplish what I want to do, I'd sure appreciate it. Otherwise, have a nice day.

c) I don't play Magic when I go to the mall ... I teach taekwondo classes. That came in real handy when I came up on the jerk on his Soft 8s and 15s defacing my rig with "Mall Rated" stickers. Do you carry them around with you, too? I'm with Dan, this is a childish troll statement.

For my rigs future, which is mainly 90% road driving, I'm going up to 31s as a max tire size with my 4" lift. I'll use 255/70-17 on a rim with 4.5" backspacing. I'll also be regearing to 4.11 to compensate. I barely have fender trimming and this set up would put the edge of the tire at the edge of the flare and keep it off the control arms.

I would suggest getting some fresh UpCountry level springs to get you back up to stock height, and getting 255/60-17 (29x10) tires. Should give you that wide look you are hoping for and keep with the stock mileage. A low Jeep with a wide tired stance is pretty sweet looking.

I always found it funny that people shit on a guy that wants larger tires for looks on his jeep, yet the same people shitting on him would throw a leveling kit and 35s or something on their tow rig for...looks?

The guy wants his jeep to look cool with larger tires...who cares.

Back