• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pump issues

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
Replacing my OEM pump with a junkyard 4.7 WJ pump. Got it on tonight and I had a leak where the pump and reservoir connect. I pulled it again and put on a new o-ring and reinstalled. I did the lock to lock about 12 times without it running and didn't see or hear any leak. I fired it up and did lock to lock another 12-15 times. I got out and saw the same leak and the fluid in the reservoir was frothy. Also, the pump is very noisy during the lock to lock.
Is the pump bad? What causes that froth? What causes the howling?

Last edited:
a leak at the reservoir is a surefire way to aerate the fluid.

as the system bleeds, you will see froth come to the top. you may also hear pump whine, which makes sense... there is still air in the system. if the fluid is frothy, shut it down and let the fluid settle. all you are doing is pumping aerated fluid back into the system.

if the pump leaks, you may never get the system successfully bled as rockclimber said.

So it sounds like I need to bleed it a few more times not running. Perhaps if there is enough air in the pump the fluid is not displacing it and is being forced out past the O-ring, which would be the most logical breach point. Of course I could have gotten a bad pump also. That is an inherent risk of using junkyard parts.

Dirk
When you rode with me here in Texas, that was the first time I'd had it out when it wasn't leaking and frothy. That was after I ended up replacing the pump for the 2nd time from autozone. The first one was ok but leaked a little bit and had a slight whine. 2nd one would never stop leaking...to the point i couldn't leave the house.

I bled it with the Jeep off again this morning and then started it up. It was pretty quiet when I was going lock to lock with the motor on, but it was still leaking from the reservoir connection point. I guess I'll pull it one final time and see what I can make happen, then give up if it keeps leaking and go back on with an XJ pump.

For the noise, did you swap the fitting over on the power steering pump from the XJ to the WJ? I know people have issues with whine if you don't swap the fitting over. As for the leak how did you plug the second output port on the WJ reservoir? Reservoir could also maybe have a crack somewhere too.

There is an o-ring between the pump and reservoir.

Replacing my OEM pump with a junkyard 4.7 WJ pump. Got it on tonight and I had a leak where the pump and reservoir connect. I pulled it again and put on a new o-ring and reinstalled. I did the lock to lock about 12 times without it running and didn't see or hear any leak.

There is an o-ring between the pump and reservoir.

Yeah, I'm wondering if the o-ring I used was the wrong size, or something. The leak is definitely coming from that part of the pump/reservoir area.

I'll pull it again and see if I see anything else that could be causing it. Otherwise I'll just put the XJ pump back in with a new tank.

Ive had this consistent problem. I went through a couple remanufactured ones till I got one that finally held. I had even replaced o ring right where you are explaining. Just get a lifetime warranty one from o'reilys till you find one that works lol or by a brand spanking new one.

Put the OEM back in with a new tank. It had been quiet. Now, every time it starts up, it howls like a stuck out for about 90 seconds to 2 minutes then goes completely quiet. It is not losing fluid. Assume still some air in there? Should I open the tank and lock to lock awhile to "burp" it?

Last edited:
Put the OEM back in with a new tank. It had been quiet. Now, every time it starts up, it howls like a stuck out for about 90 seconds to 2 minutes then goes completely quiet. It is not losing fluid. Assume still some air in there? Should I open the tank and lock to lock awhile to "burp" it?

Yes, I would 20 times lock to lock this time.

Bled it another 35 times and then put a couple more turns of tension on the belt and it seems to be good.

Thanks, all, for your guidance.

Back