• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1995 Cherokee ASD issue

Unclewally

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought a parts Jeep from a friend. It wouldn't start. Previous owner stated is was because of the ASD system. I did some looking online to find out how to bypass it just to move it around in the yard.

No dice.

The fuel pump is good. It had been replaced by PO. I bypassed the fuel pump relay and got fuel at the rail.

I checked voltages at the ASD relay to ensure everything was good there. It seams to be. I tried bypassing the ASD relay to see if it would start. NADA.

Where do I look now to get it to run? Is it a CPS/TPS issue? IIRC the CPS was also replaced by the PO.

I would like to get it to run before I start pulling everything apart. The engine will get set aside for now. I mostly needed the trans/TC/axles to convert my 2wd to 4wd.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

you need to determine if the PCM is receiving signal from the CPS. It need to see it to activate the ASD. The ASD provides power to the coil, fuel injectors and O2 sensors.

after is sees CPS it looks for cam signal to sync ignition to fuel injector timing. If it does not see cam signal, it will shut down the ASD.

Among all the things that can trigger the ASD, I find a shirt in the heater circuit in the o2s to be the most common.

Shirt? LOL you mean short?

Shirt....short. Yes I mean short, but I suppose a shirt in there would be an equally bad problem.

Shirt....short. Yes I mean short, but I suppose a shirt in there would be an equally bad problem.

Loosing ones shirt is always a problem Sir LOL!!!

Back