• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headers that don't suck?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally decided to start tracking down an exhaust leak that started within about a thousand miles of installing a set of APNs, and whaddya know... Cracked to s*** at the lower Y.

Are there any decent headers out there that won't break the bank? We'll call it a federal emissions 2000 XJ.

Yeah, I've considered it and may ultimately have to go that route. I'll go ahead and take care of my motor mounts as well despite the fact that they look perfect.

But in addition to the flex pipe... Any header reccomendations?

Will the split headers that Chrysler switched to on late model 4.0's work on earlier models? Or be retrofitted in?
Seems like the split headers solved the cracking problem as I never hear of anyone having problems with them like the earlier models.

Will the split headers that Chrysler switched to on late model 4.0's work on earlier models? Or be retrofitted in?
Seems like the split headers solved the cracking problem as I never hear of anyone having problems with them like the earlier models.

The 2000-2001 split headers are made to fit the 0331 head. The 0331 has smaller exhaust ports and the split header will not completely cover the older head's larger exhaust ports.
A flex pipe, on the section of exhaust pipe where it crosses under the transmission, is the common fix.

So to clarify: 99-down headers *will* correctly fit the exhaust ports on the 0331 head? If so, should I be using an OEM 2000-2001 gasket?

Currently, it has a 2000-2001 OEM gasket, and APN headers for the 99-down models.

If something in this combination is totally wrong, that could explain the remaining leak(s).

Back