• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Cherokee Sport - Sentry Key Light

miikeb56

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee and the sentry light came on while I was driving which caused all the gauges to stop working. The Jeep starts and drives fine but I can't figure out why the gauges won't work (none of them).

I've tried using the alternate key and fob but I have the same result. Mechanically nothing is wrong I just don't have any gauges.

Any idea what this is?

The sentry module is located in the overhead console. When it gets corroded, the gages stop working. If you don't use the key fobs, you can just unplug the module. If you use the key fobs, clean the connector or whichever part of the board is corroded.

What do the ignition keys look like ? Black color plastic, plain metal, or gray plastic ? Are you sure it was the anti-theft symbol in the upper left of the instrument cluster that came on ?

If the 97-01 Cherokee is equipped with factory installed Sentry Key chip-in-key anti-theft, the key reader module is in the steering column and together with the PCM they provide the anti-theft features. The standard key-less entry module circuit board is located in the overhead console if equipped or in the dome lamp assembly. A faulty key-less entry system should have no effect upon the dashboard instrument or light the anti-theft symbol on the instrument cluster. You can try unplugging the key-less entry module and see if the symptoms clear up.

As suggested, you may just be having typical instrument cluster issues caused by corroded contacts on the backside of the cluster.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the information!

"What do the ignition keys look like ? Black color plastic, plain metal, or gray plastic ?"

Mine are the gray plastic ones and I just have the standard overhead dome light (3 lights).

I'm going to try pulling the dome light out today to see what it looks like. Honestly, if that fixes it and I just can't use my FOBs I'll survive.

Appreciate the help, stay tuned...

Check fuse #9 in the Junction Block (JB). It powers the SKIM and the instrument cluster.

A SKIS light on steady indicates a failure in the SKIS.

99XJJunctionBlock-1.jpg

There's also a SKIM fuse in the PDC. See pic. Check it.

%2098%2099%20PDC%20REV%2012_06_2015.jpg

Back