• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights stay on after being turned off. Flashing brights turns them off

Rotorhead84

NAXJA Forum User
A few years ago I installed IPF H4 headlight housings and some H4 bulbs. I used the LMC truck harness.

Ever since my headlights will not turn off when I turn the lights off while driving. Not a huge deal which is why I have basically ignored it for so long. But for whatever reason it is starting to annoy me. :rolleyes:

Flashing the brights will make the headlights turn off and stay off. Is this a relay issue with the LMC truck harness?

What year?

Could be the headlight delay. If you turn off your VEHICLE before turning off the headlights, they stay illuminated for 45 secs then turn off.

If you turn off the HEADLIGHTS before the vehicle, this does not occur.

He said they will stay on even when he turns them off while driving. That is not a function of the Sentry headlight feature. Possibly a bad headlight switch

He said they will stay on even when he turns them off while driving. That is not a function of the Sentry headlight feature. Possibly a bad headlight switch

I am still scratching my head on this one, but I agree with you. What about a stuck relay on the aftermarket harness, but that begs the question why it powers down after turning off the engine/ignition switch.

"Ever since my headlights will not turn off when I turn the lights off while driving."

That sounds like either an issue with the aftermarket harness itself or it was not installed properly, unless the headlight switch already had an issue I have not seen before.

I'm about to install an aftermarket harness and new headlights in mine. The harness I'm using is the Putco. I've heard it can cause a similar issue as yours, and I understand it IS a relay issue. Has something to do with the way the circuit is wired in order to prevent fog lights from staying on when high beams are activated.

Check out my headlight upgrade thread a little farther down for deets. Hope this helps.

Chris

I'm about to install an aftermarket harness and new headlights in mine. The harness I'm using is the Putco. I've heard it can cause a similar issue as yours, and I understand it IS a relay issue. Has something to do with the way the circuit is wired in order to prevent fog lights from staying on when high beams are activated.

Check out my headlight upgrade thread a little farther down for deets. Hope this helps.

Chris

What year and do you have factory foglights?

A faulty relay in the after-market wire may possible may be causing that. If the 97-01 Cherokee is equipped with factory fog lamps that is most likely the cause of the symptoms.

Its a 97. No factory fogs. I had no issues with the headlights before installing the H4s. The headlight delay works fine. They stay on for however many seconds it is if you turn the lights off AFTER the ignition. But if you turn the lights off before you turn off the ignition, the headlights still stay on until you turn the ignition off and then they go off immediately.

Back