• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flipping Boomerang Shackles with Shackle Relocation Brackets/

Kuffar762

NAXJA Forum User
I put on my LII Shackle Relocation Brackets and my friend swore up and down that I should flip the boomerang shackles so that the shackle can swing up into the relocation bracket more before running into the wider par where the leaf eye is bolted on.

It sounded good to me last night but now looking at it in the light of day(and sober) I have my doubts.

BackwardShacklesWithLIIRelos.jpg

Supposedly the same bend that keeps them from whacking the rear wall of stock shackle mounts can be turned around so that the shackle tucks up deeper upon compression when using shackle relocation brackets that have no back for the shackle to slam into.

Opinions?

The shackle in that picture is backward.

That's the whole point of my post.

I flipped them around because my friend showed me that the shackle would tuck higher into the shackle relocation bracket that it did angled the normal way.

That angle is there to clear the rear bulkhead/rear of the shackle pocket with the brackets it no longer serves that purpose but the shackle tucks up 3/4in higher into the bracket upon compression when installed this way.

I can't tell if it improves or harms my shackle angle though.

Flipping the shackle has no affect on angle. Think about it... shackle angle is a straight line. Now flip that line over, and what do you have?

Having the shackle flipped the other way will definitely tuck better into the brackets. Jack up the back, and remove the spring. Push the shackle as far as it can go and take a picture. Flip it around and do the same thing. You'll have your answer. :)

Flipping the shackle has no affect on angle. Think about it... shackle angle is a straight line. Now flip that line over, and what do you have?

Having the shackle flipped the other way will definitely tuck better into the brackets. Jack up the back, and remove the spring. Push the shackle as far as it can go and take a picture. Flip it around and do the same thing. You'll have your answer. :)

My buddy showed me how the eye/bushing area would run into the shackle bracket upon compression sooner when I had them the "correct" way but of course all of this is elementary if I whack off the rearmost 2 positions but I am seeing some 10 leaf National leafs in my future so I am gonna work with what I have for now.

Is that what you are seeing here?

I think I am going to flip them back around "just because" I don't like looking at it that way, lol

Last edited:
My buddy showed me how the eye/bushing area would run into the shackle bracket upon compression sooner when I had them the "correct" way but of course all of this is elementary if I whack off the rearmost 2 positions but I am seeing some 10 leaf National leafs in my future so I am gonna work with what I have for now.

Is that what you are seeing here?

I think I am going to flip them back around "just because" I don't like looking at it that way, lol

Unless there is something I'm missing, your buddy is incorrect. The shackle will hit the relocation box long before the leaf contacts the shackle. I would flip them.

Unless there is something I'm missing, your buddy is incorrect. The shackle will hit the relocation box long before the leaf contacts the shackle. I would flip them.

Yeah, it looks just the opposite to me and I would have to cut away the rear parts of the bracket for it not to run into the part that gets wider to accomodate the bushing/eye and if I did that it wouldn't matter which way the shackle was flipped.

It will be turned back around the way the way I had it before tomorrow.

Thanks BW..

Modifying the bracket is common.

I am feeling the need for some longer springs(10 leaf Nationals or Deavers) that might need one of those holes or I would have already cut everything else flat as soon as I figured out which hole was gonna give me the angle I wanted.

I'm gonna need to do some more fender trimming and shock relocation to stuff those 35s enough to go much past the eye hitting the bracket as it sits once I get these flipped back the right way.

Did you cut off the unneeded material on yours as soon as you put them in or did you go flex the crap out of it to see where it was binding first?

Shackle will push to rear untill spring compresses flat then as its starts to negative arch it pulls back towards front.

You might never negative arch your springs .

I dont see a pic

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Back