• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with fault codes.

Petemech

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, just picked up my new to me 98 xj. CEL was on so i scanned it. Had four faults P1698, P0301, P0700 and P1694.

I'm going to seafoam and dona tube up and hope that fixes the P0301. It runs fine but has a very slight miss at idle.

My bigger question is the others. The thing runs and drives great. Trans shifts smooth as glass no issues kicking up or down when needed. If you guys could point me towards skme common issues associated with those 3 faults id greatly appreciate it.

Oh and inam a mechanic so feel free to talk nerdy to me.

If you have both a P1694 and P1698 suspect a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS). The P0700 is related and can be ignored until the P1694 and P1698 are fixed.

P0700 is an indicator code telling you to scan the TCM
p1694 is CCD bus codes, no communication to TCM from PCM
p1698 is CCD bus code, no communication to PCM from TCM

clear them and see if they return would be my first move.

P0301 (Cylinder Misfire) drove me NUTS for a very long time...

Check the injector wiring harness where it bends around the rear of the fuel rail. Mine had worn through just enough that it would short out and throw the code if I went over a bump...

Thanks guys. I cleared the codes this morning unfortnetly i probably wont have time the next two weeks to get to the dmv since they are only open late thursdays and i cant go this one or the next. So we'll see what happens then.

Thanks for the heads up on that original_mudbutt. Ive seen stuff like that before. I work on peterbilt trucks and its pretty common for wires to rub/chafe. Hopefully its something stupid like that. Or that it just needs a tune up. Im probably going to seafoam, tune up and change all the fluids this weekend. So stomed to finally have an XJ and i got a serious deal on it.

I have the same codes with instrument cluster going on and off and door locks not working. Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Back