• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice-Front end lower after coil/leaf replacement

bucklahoo

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj
a few months ago i had my sagging leaf springs replaced. had shocks, some worn out gaskets, coils and a few other small suspension parts replaced by a repatable shop.
the rear is higher than the front after repair. all the parts were stock replacements and i heard that sometimes the rear needs to "settle" or people will add a small spacer up front to even it out.
these are the coils i bought:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/918280_13.htm

i've noticed that when hitting holes or small curbs before driveways that the XJ makes a loud hard slamming noise. is this height difference possibly causing this?
i just got back from another shop that said my coils were "warped" or possibly not right, maybe for a 4 cylinder version that weighs lighter.

any validity to this?

Are those the correct coils, with the correct height, and correct spring rate ? What is a "slamming noise" ? Where does the noise originate from, left/right/front/rear ? Is the suspension bottoming out, and/or are the shocks too long ? What are "warped" coil springs ?

I suggest you start by finding a local 4x4 shop that understands coil sprung Jeeps and have them inspect the parts and the workmanship of the install.

What is the height of front and back ? Measure from bottom of fender flare to center of axle nut location.

Maybe they left off the rubber isolater that sits between coil and it's seat. Lose an inch or so and its metal to metal popping maybe.

Didn't some up country xj's have a slightly taller spring and leaf ? Just saying don't know what you have.

I could not find the actual spring rate for these coils, but I did see where they are "light duty" coils. Also, some reviews that I found state as follows: The coils put front lower than the rear, the ride is very soft and bottoms out, and they sag very quickly.

Measure the height like MACH said so we can get an idea of where you sit, and look for that isolator on top of the coil. Maybe even turn the wheel so you can get a picture for us.

i do see where it says light duty also. i guess i trusted what quadratec recommended and was selling in that they are the direct oem replacement. not the best brand but...this is just a daily driver.

gonna check for isolator, measure hub to fender, and see if i can turn up info on spring.

thanks

Well found out the front is about 1.75" lower than rear. Only been 4 months on new leaf springs without any real weight in back to break them in. I will post pics of coils asap.

pics of front coils. anything look suspect to you guys?
20160430_193836_zpsec1ehbii.jpg

20160430_193404_zps8lf3iqlc.jpg

Shocks are actually suspension oscillation dampeners, if the valving is incorrect for the vehicle, they do not properly dampen suspension movement and the bump stops will contact the axle. The mashed up orange thing is a ruined bump stop.

You might suspect that either the coil springs are not the correct spring rate, the shocks are not the correct valving, or maybe even both. Consider replacing one or both. You should replace the bump stops.

What are the correct specs for spring & valving?
I can contact both manufacturers but is there oem specs on those.
such thing as a heavier duty bump stop?

Meantime a spacer might help even things out?

A good brand name coil spring and good quality shocks bought from a knowledgeable seller should do the right job. Moog coil springs get good reviews. If your springs and shocks are doing their job, you should very rarely contact the bump stops on pavement.

FYI, everything OmixAda and Crown Automotive I have bought has been a disappointment. It fit poorly, wore out quickly, or did both at once.

Last edited:
Moog is what I got to replace my worn out stock coils and they are great, and not that bad of a price. Crown, sadly, for the leafs. But, got a steal of a deal on them. They'll do till I get the ome leafs in a few months.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I just replaced both my rear leaves, and yeah, the thing's a bit higher in the back, but probably not as bad as yours, just enough that it would probably level out if I loaded the rear up, which is kinda what I'd like...

That being said, when I was ordering my new leaves, I found out there's nine, yes NINE different part numbers for leaf springs for a '96 XJ depending on whether you had a 4 cylinder/6 cylinder/Up-Country Package/whatever. I just ended up going to the local dealership and had them run my VIN. Turns out my rig was originally equipped with LM-code leaves, which I ended up ordering from Crown...

it was like 16.5" in the front and 18.25" in rear.
i hit just the smallest pothole and the front slams hard.
granted i need to replace the bump stops but im afraid they are just gonna get smashed up again.
do the pics look ok to everyone? nothing missing like a spacer?

could the shocks be shot? how would i check that?

If the shock are old/worn out, replace them with good quality shocks. If that does not cure the slamming, buy better coil springs.

I'm afraid you bought bad or mis labeled coils, saved a penny where I wouldn't have. Shocks won't keep you from bottoming out, that's not what they do. Coil springs is where the tension to hold up the vehicle happens. Shocks more or less keep the coil from bouncing un controlled after hitting a bump or dip. Surprised the reputable shop didn't notice these things on the test drive at the least, hmmm ?

Bite the bullet and get new coils that don't need propped up with spacers. If your paying to have spacers put in it involves placing them on top of coil, why not just put good coils instead. Besides spacers won't help if those coils are the wrong spring rate. Probably not what you wanted to hear. Confucious say, "it is what it is".

Back