• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Frame extention

smokeyyank

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching but haven't been able to find the exact answer I'm looking for. Nothing is moving forward yet I'm just trying to gather ideas for when I do. In a nutshell I am wanting to chop the back of my XJ (Literally everything from the back seats off) and extend my wheelbase and put in a new cargo area. My understanding is that when the unibody is cut there is still the area from the "frame" rails. My question is am I able to put new steel beams where the unibody is cut to extend the frame back? If so what do I have to consider for doing so? I'm wanting to add about foot of cargo room to the rear and stretch the rear wheel base a bit in doing so. Any input is appreciated.

This what Bill did when he chopped his back off.

Alright... unfortunatly not much progress to report from the weekend. There is just to much stuff going on and not enought hours. :( Next weekend will be the same way and I'm going to work a bunch of late nights in the garage to make up for it...

Anyway, the 2"x4"x.188" tubing came in and I cut it up to fit in what is left of the uni-rails. I'm pretty sure this is how I'm going to attach them:

Rail_Attachment_Proposal.jpg

If the picture doesn't explain itself; the red circles are rosette welds that will attach the uni-rail to the new rails. The blue line is the inner profile of the new rail showing where it ends. The yellow line is the re-enforcing plate (most likely 2"x4"x.188 angle) that will begin at the back of the the front spring hanger used to be, form up the bend in the uni-rail and continue till onto the new rail. That plate will be stitched and rosette welded.

Sound good?

I'm still working on the rear bumper plans... that will be revealed soon.

What could be super cool, and I have no idea of lengths, would be to get a two-door donor rig. Chop it at the appropriate length to use the two-door glass. Splice the two bodies, without cargo area floor. Weld up joints, frame rail reinforcements, stretched wheel wells, then floor last.

You'd get really good at bodywork.

Thx for replies. That is exactly what i was thinking foxwar. I was thinking just plating the outside outside of the rails and also using a cross memeber in between the rail to help tie them in. What im wanting to do is basically keep for 4 doors, ditch the entire area behind the back seats, drop in a fuel cell and seal off that area. After I will fab an entire new rear cargo area. Im wanting to do a rear chop but have more room than what i would get by just doing that. I have a rough drawing and atleast on paper it looks bad ass. Ive always wanted a k20 crew cab that was a truggy, but tight trails here dont like full size rigs. And I love Jeeps like crackheads love crack......

What could be super cool, and I have no idea of lengths, would be to get a two-door donor rig. Chop it at the appropriate length to use the two-door glass. Splice the two bodies, without cargo area floor. Weld up joints, frame rail reinforcements, stretched wheel wells, then floor last.

You'd get really good at bodywork.

Pass.

Ugly%20XJ_zpsv1gisf0h.jpg

Last edited:

Ha ha yep definetly not what Im looking to do. I saw another guy that had one but with a truck bed. Looked like a Jeep and a Subaru had a night a poor choices.

I dunno, a little more lift, and some tires, it might look ok. C'mon DJ, photo lift that for me. With four kids, I want a three row Cherokee.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I did a whole tube frame from the front hanger back. It was a pita to cut the unibody out and sand it all down that was for sure. But I like how it turned out. I tied it into the shock crossmember and the rear hatch crossmember.

Nice Jeepfreak. What size tubing did you use? What was the reason you went with tubing vs rectangular steel?

Back