• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine question

tylergrant2011

NAXJA Forum User
I see all these threads on engine swaps and compatability engines. My question is I have an 87 comanche 4.0 2wd auto and as a donor I have a 91 Laredo 4.0 4wd. I seen a write up on sensors and parts I would have to keep on my renix like the intake and stuff. But can't seem to find it nor remember everything. I did notice the temp sensor is on the thermostat housing on my donor.

All sensors must be came to the computer they are designed to work with.
The problem with HO setups to renix swaps are the intakes. The HO ports are set up different. You can do the swap since you have the parts but it's more work.
Easiest swap is to take the 91 long block and put the renix head back on it. From there swap all sensors and you are good to go.

Renix to HO intake is possible and since you have the donor car you can do so. More work but I believe better performance. Now would be a good time to do a 4*4 swap if you want to.

I'm not so sure about the HO heads on renix. There a 89 XJ for sale up the street that is renix with a HO head. He just put the HO head on keeping the rest factory.
There was a thread where we talked about the 7120 head on renix system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember seeing something about it but can't seem to find it. I think the only thing that probably needs to be swapped would be the flexplate valve cover the intake and all the components running off of pulleys. And probably also the distributor because I'm sure the air fuel ratio and stuff will be different I'm not sure though. I own 3 jeeps but haven't had to swap any engines yet.

Back