• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar Upgrade - Suspension Problems?

seanof30306@yahoo.

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so in 2010, I bought a Death Wobble Kit from Kevin's Offroad. It consisted of a tubular adjustable track bar with polyurethane bushings, a heavy-duty track bar mount, and a heavy-duty steering damper.

When I installed it, not only did the DW disappear, but the handling improved, too. Going down the highway, it just felt much more solid.

So, it's 45,000 miles later. I'd begun to see DW again at 42,000 miles later, but kind of expected it. The Bridgestone Duellers, which I put on when I put the KOR Death Wobble Kit on, are about at the end of their life.

The steering damper was leaking a little fluid, so I replaced it. I was initially looking for a beefier one, but someone on here suggested going with a stock-replacement damper from Monroe with a lifetime warranty. He said it might not last as long as a beefier one, but if it failed, all you have to do is pull it off, take it to the parts store, and get a new one under warranty.

At the last minute, standing at the counter at O'reilly's, I couldn't help myself. Instead of buying the 24.95 stock replacement damper with the lifetime warranty, I bought the 69.95 heavy duty damper with the lifetime warranty. It's been about 3,000 miles with no more DW.

The steering box went out recently, so we replaced it. After we did, I was up under the Jeep while someone turned the steering wheel lock-to lock. The steering box was fine, but at full lock, the steering damper mount was flexing like crazy!

We pulled the damper off. The mount had failed, and the bushing was so jammed up in the end of the bar that we could not get it out, no matter how much BFH work we did.

I thought about getting the mount welded and taking the track bar to the machine shop to have the bushing pressed out, but I was pretty disgusted with Kevin's Off Road last year when I tried to get answers if the extreme-duty steering damper failing at 42,000 road-only miles was the use I should expect out of it, and now the track bar was screwed up.

I decided to buy a Rugged Ridge adjustable track bar w/mounting bracket. http://www.ruggedridge.com/hd-adj-front-track-bar-18205-05.html

It's on, and going down the road, the Jeep drives as good as it ever has. There are a couple of issues.

The first are bumps. My Jeep has a pretty firm ride. Hitting bumps going down the road feels about normal, but when you hit a sharp bump, even at really low speeds, it's "WHAM!" It never did that with the factory trackbar, and it never did it with the KOR bar.

The second is braking. Normal braking is fine, but the other day I hit a bump while braking, and the front wheels hopped pretty bad. I've had this Jeep 19 1/2 years, and it's never done that.

I went into an empty parking lot, got up to about 30 a couple of times, and jammed on the brakes. Not exactly sure how to describe it, but it just didn't feel right. The wheels didn't exactly hop, but it felt like they were wanting to.

When I first got the Jeep, I did that 30 mph panic stop thing quite a few times to teach myself how the ABS felt and to learn how to steer while braking. I've done it a number of other times over the years as I taught my nieces and nephews and my girlfriend's kids to drive. It's always felt sure and under perfect control.

Now, it feels mushy and strange. A couple of times, there's been a clunking sound.

I got up under it and checked everything for tightness, I can't find anything wrong.

The only things that have changed are the trackbar and mounting bracket, and the steering box and hoses.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Last edited:
I had an upper control arm bushing on the axle go bad and it had all the symptoms you described. It didn't death wobble but there was some wander and a dead spot in the steering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel hope and impact related harshness would have me looking at shocks first. But check all yout bushings and ball joints for play. Get under there with a large prybar and try to move stuff around at the joints to make sure they are all solid.

Wheel hope and impact related harshness would have me looking at shocks first. But check all yout bushings and ball joints for play. Get under there with a large prybar and try to move stuff around at the joints to make sure they are all solid.

I've done all that, and can't find anything.

I have to think this has something to do with the trackbar. It never did any of this before, and literally had the first WHAM! when I hit a bump as I was pulling out of the parking lot from picking it up from the trackbar install. We pulled it right back in and looked everything over, but can't find anything wrong.

What kinda bushings are in that track bar? It's hard to see in the pics, and the linked page doesn't give any info.

I had the same thing with my double shear track bar. Turns out my nut had backed off. Threw a new nut on and smooth sailing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Found it.

The Rugged Ridge track bar mount is way beefier than stock. It was interfering with the spring perch on bumps. Al little grinder work, and it's all good.

I wish I had seen this earlier, ya the rugged ridge drops the track bar down pretty low and because of that, the frame mount hangs really low. I had the same happen to mine when going over bumps, finally realized it was hitting the spring perch when I found a way L section cut out on the corner of the spring perch.
Word on advice, the adjustable piece is metric threaded. I don't remember the measurement, should be on here from a ways back as I know I posted it.
Also, get a frame to track bar mount brace for that track bar. Because that frame mount hangs so low, it puts a lot of stress on that area if you don't have a brace tying it to the other frame rail.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back