• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Motor swap questions

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
So I sold my XJ last month and bought a WJ. I sold the XJ to my Neighbor who is a baffoon and blew the motor. I ended up buying the XJ back from him at a seriously deep discount. I am going to drop a new motor in it and I was curious about something. I HATE the belt tensioning system on the 1995 4.0 and really want to 1997-2001 motor. Can this be done? Can I drop a 1997 motor in a 1995 without major modification? Also who do you all recommend I get my motor from?

You'll have to swap things like sensors and senders since you'll be using 95 electronics. I think the fuel rail used is different too.

But I've seen swaps to the newer intake which changed the power steering to the newer style as well, so the rest of it shouldn't be too hard you'd just have to get all the brackets.

I'm sure some here who has done it can tell you how it's done and benefits of it.

What else changed in 97-01 belt tensioner ?
Never bothered me much I'd pull the air box to get to the adjuster easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also the temp sending unit at the back of the head most likely will not be ported in the 97-99 cylinder head.

Got this thread confused with a similar one where we talked about the 96 motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the idler pully next the ac is removed in exchange for the newer idler by the power steering. you'll need the bracket the pump is bolted to.

the 95 fuel rail will have to be used and i'd recomend using your 95 head.

I believe all xj and zj 4.0 blocks are the same.

Back